Probably wrong, but thinking out loud about the TSC “BRs”

Look what I just found on Hoovers website. Don't these look very similar to the weird BRs?
https://hoovershatchery.com/easteregger.html
If you take away the crest and white earlobes, yes. Though I also haven’t heard of any laying blue/green eggs.
I thought it was common knowledge that barred rocks sold by hatcheries directly aren't real barred rocks, as well as a slew of other easy to replicate breeds. I once read a book on chickens that made special mention of barred rocks and how messed up their breed lineage is because of hatcheries.
Hatchery barred rocks are completely different than heritage/show quality barred rocks. However, hatchery BRs still aren’t mutts, and they all have the same pattern. Black with barring is rather hard to mess up.

This reminds me of the other Hoover situation where people were getting LF dark-skinned birds that caused a bit of confusion. They're finally listed by Hoover as Mystic Onix this year and being called "new for 2021" despite people receiving many last year with no info on their website previously.... https://hoovershatchery.com/mysticonyx.html

This reminds me of the other Hoover situation where people were getting LF dark-skinned birds that caused a bit of confusion. They're finally listed by Hoover as Mystic Onix this year and being called "new for 2021" despite people receiving many last year with no info on their website previously.... https://hoovershatchery.com/mysticonyx.html
Those are the same thing as southern ramblers, right?

I'm super new to this situation but just read through the thread. How very odd! Those are some very non-BR-looking "BR's." I'm interested to hear if you find out more from Hoover's, @TheAlrightyGina.

In my own experience, I've never gotten any weird BR's from Hoover's (though I've never gotten mine through TSC). And for what it's worth, I've gotten a lot of Hoover's chicks in a lot of breeds over the years and while they certainly aren't show-quality, they have been quality birds--very healthy and hardy. Unfortunately I didn't get to order from them again this year because they upped their minimums per breed to 5 and I wanted more variety for my small flock. :) So I'm hoping the new hatchery's chicks do well, too.

I'm super new to this situation but just read through the thread. How very odd! Those are some very non-BR-looking "BR's." I'm interested to hear if you find out more from Hoover's, @TheAlrightyGina.

In my own experience, I've never gotten any weird BR's from Hoover's (though I've never gotten mine through TSC). And for what it's worth, I've gotten a lot of Hoover's chicks in a lot of breeds over the years and while they certainly aren't show-quality, they have been quality birds--very healthy and hardy. Unfortunately I didn't get to order from them again this year because they upped their minimums per breed to 5 and I wanted more variety for my small flock. :) So I'm hoping the new hatchery's chicks do well, too.

I'll be sure to report back if they tell me anything else. :fl

IMG_1948.JPG

thats all I have right now, I'll come back tomorrow with full body photos. I have never looked too closely into chicken breed standards, so let me know what you think. Does she look like a barred rock, or a mutt? either way, shes a good girl

View attachment 2552884

thats all I have right now, I'll come back tomorrow with full body photos. I have never looked too closely into chicken breed standards, so let me know what you think. Does she look like a barred rock, or a mutt? either way, shes a good girl
Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm just following this thread because it seems fairly interesting.

Question: Does any of this have to do with autosexing? I'm just thinking aloud here, because I know that Plymouth Rocks are autosexing, and they are closely related. Again, I might be spiraling off in a completely different direction, but I am curious.

Back
Top Bottom