Problem averted, but as for dinner....

greymane

Songster
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Snyder County, PA
Well, my son bought a Jersey Buff tom a few weeks back (mostly grown) with the intent of having him for Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone seemed onboard. Then, my wife and son started to have doubts about eating "Jimmy". This weekend, my son bought "Penny", a Jersey Buff hen. Hmm...I am thinking we are not having OUR turkey for Thanksgiving.

When we first put Penny in the Jimmy (and the chickens), he was very aggressive and I thought we were going to have to separate them. She went up on the roost and I thought we would give them a couple of hours to see how it works out. Six hours later, they were the best of friends. Go figure.

idunno.gif

A girl that I used to work with gave me a little turkey once, if you squeezed it, it gobbled. It was holding a little sign that said 'Eat Spaghetti'. I had a dry erase board outside of my office, and as Thanksgiving got closer I would start a countdown for the day that we would do the turkeys. She was always writing stuff on there like 'Save the turkeys!' The funny part was that every year her husband came out to help, he did the actual butchering which freed me up to work on cleaning them with the other folks who came out. Then everyone got however many turkeys they wanted and went home. These folks loved my turkeys, so it was a running joke between the wife and I. They moved away, and I really miss them.

greymane, how do you like the Jersey Buffs? I never raised any so I am excited about the prospect.

lol this reminds me of a conversation I had with my mom this week, We were driving to an appointment and we seen a turkey with 5 chickens my mom said he was going to be dinner and that we should come get him and keep him until after the first of the year!!!!!lol I could not kill my babies but I did not buy them for that reason! I so enjoy watching them! they are so funny!

Quote:
If you are asking from a taste standpoint, I feel like the old Tootsie Pop commercial....the world may never know! Seriously, though, they are sweet birds. They get along great with the chickens.

Quote:
Actually, I was asking about personality and behavior
big_smile.png
I have very little patience with aggressive birds. My plan is to use a hen or two to expand my line of Regal Reds (I only have one tom) and keep others as pure Buffs. Then I'll have breeders of Regal Red, Jersey Buff, and White Holland.

Somebody from the state came out to test my birds for Avian Influenza and she was amazed at how calm my White Hollands were. She said that most white turkeys that she has seen are really flighty. Maybe the difference between buying from breeders vs buying from hatcheries? I can only hope that my Buffs are the same...

Back
Top Bottom