Problem cockerel- Please help!

Super hard to judge the boys at this age. The ones that seem nice now can become quite mean later. Though I agree if your little guy is already showing signs of this then probably best to rehome him now. I use craigslist primarily though it can take some time to get responses. Make sure you find a safe neutral location to do any transactions. Never let people come to your home.😊

Make sure that you make it clear you are rehoming due to aggression issues. I personally don't agree with handing off an aggressive cockerel to someone else but if you are going to do it, make sure people know what they are getting.
I think he would do best in a home with older chickens to put him in his place.

But he’s only 7 weeks
Isn’t this to early or no?
It's early, but not unheard of. I wouldn't call this aggression. It is simply mating behavior in a cockerel. He might grow out of it as he matures, but with the number of cockerels that you have, I'd rehome him. I would remove him from the flock so that he does not inadvertently injure a smaller chick.

He may do better with an older cockerel or rooster around but it has been my experience that an aggressive bird will be aggressive to anyone under them in the pecking order. This isn't such a big deal with a pullet but cockerels tend to rise higher in the pecking order than pullets and so usually have someone to bully. Again, just my experience.

I had one somewhat like that at a younger age. I isolated him for a day and his behavior straightened out but I never trusted him again. He was the first one from that batch I ate and I ate him earlier than I normally would. I agree get rid of him.

In addition to other suggestions above, if you can find the Texas chat thread in the "Where am I? Where are you!" section of this forum, chat with your neighbors, one of them might take him or them or have a local suggestion. Or go to the Buy, Sell, Trade section and post an ad with your location in the thread title.

What are best places to post a cockerel for sale? I could never put myself to cull, so I want to rehome.

Make sure that you make it clear you are rehoming due to aggression issues. I personally don't agree with handing off an aggressive cockerel to someone else but if you are going to do it, make sure people know what they are getting.

I agree that if you rehome a bird because it's a behavior problem in the flock you need to let the new owner know exactly what the problem is.

Back
Top Bottom