Problem with a friend.....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by incubatingisfun, Mar 14, 2011.

1. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Songster

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    So i have known this person for 2 years and i go over to there house every friday to hang out with her brother she has lots of animals outside that are pretty clean but she also has alot in her room and those ones cages are filthy 90% of the time. Her room smells very bad.I am not just worried about the health of the animals but also the health of her.I dont think talking to her about it in person would be very good cause she would problably get mad and defensive.Maybe an anonymous letter?Just not sure how to tell her.

2. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Songster

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    Well perhaps asking her if she would like some help in cleaning the cages and the enclosures.
    IF you can stand it long enough to go in to her room, at her invite..
    Ask to see some animal up close, mention you can't really see it too well for all the "bedding and stuff" lying around.
    And then offer to help her clean cages.
    Perhaps helping her, and showing her how they are supposed to be kept, will help her to know how they SHOULD be kept.

I met my DH by doing just that.. not animals though... my help was helping him with all the dirty dishes he had. He was very depressed, clinically though, and he had gone
    through every dish he owned. So you can imagine the smell and the number of dishes.
    We were friends for years, but helping him, let me get to know him better and well the rest is history.
    Hope this helps
    Carol

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    YOu need to ask her up front if she wants help cleaning the cages. or dont mention it at all...
    Theres really nothing to be afraid of... just be honest with her.

4. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Maybe you could talk about it with her brother first? Maybe ask him to pass on an anonymous message or say that he thinks he should tidy up the cages.

Good luck with that!

5. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Songster

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Thanks for the great ideas everyone next time i will ask her if she needs help cleaning the cages.I am pretty sure her brother has said something she just gets mad at him when he says stuff ussualy

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    If she gets mad..its NOT your problem.... you TRIED to help her.

7. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Quote:Yes, I agree with that! [​IMG]

8. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Songster

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Quote:Good point thanks

9. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Or you could call in a "Animal Welfare" check to your local animal control agency. What your friend is doing is animal cruelty. I would think that you could make the call anonymously. That way you wouldn't have your friend mad at you, and the animals would get to live in clean conditions.

10. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Songster

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Quote:Yeah I would like to try to get her into the habit of cleaning the cages often but if that does not work I am afraid I will have to call [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: