Problem with baby chick

Karen27

Chirping
Aug 18, 2015
Hi ,
I just had a very good hatch, but one of my Speckled Sussex is teeny tiny and looks like it has this little hard ball attached to the right side of his belly,its not the yolk sac, its not on the navel, its off to the side . I tried to soak it a little wit warm water but its hard and not moving . I will try to send a pic . Anyone familiar with this ?

The lump you describe is where the chick's crop is located. However, if the chick is newly hatched and hasn't yet consumed food, it's unusual for it to be full.

Is the chick gaping its beak with its neck extended, like it's experiencing discomfort? If that's the case, try massaging, very gently with the tip of your finger, the hard lump, ending with a downward stroke. If the crop is congested, this may provide relief.

The little mass is outside his body not inside .he/she is extremely tiny 1/2 the size of a normal chick

I doubt that it is the crop from what you are describing. With this chick just having hatched, I'm guessing that it is some type of tumor. You say it is firm, and non mobile when you palpate it? Pic would help.

Back
Top Bottom