Problem with Mash (and Pellet Question)

Laurajean

Slightly Touched
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I've been feeding my chickens layer mash. I've heard that some people use pellets but have just stuck with mash. Lately I've noticed that the mash is clumping up and getting stuck in the feeder and I have to jam a stick in it to break it up. Why is this happening? I'm considering switching to pellets but don't know if the chickens will like them. Anyone ever switch from mash to pellets? Do the chickens adjust to the pellets easily? Are there any benefits of pellets? I would think they wouldn't jam up in the feeder the way the mash is, right?

If it is clumping then it sounds like moisture is getting in the feed.

Years ago I used crumbles and switched to pellets. I did it over a week. I mixed the 2 together and each day I added more pellets. By the end of the week the mix had no crumbles in it.

I have found that they waste ALOT less feed with the pellets.

Matt

Maybe the mash is getting wet thats why it is clumping up. I switched to pellets because the chickens just fling it everywhere and the mesh would get blown all over the place where as the pellets stay in the area of the feeder. With the mash also the chicken would pick thruogh it and leave the really fine part (dust)

Must be getting wet. I switched from mash to pellets and have a lot less waste. They would toss it all over the place. The pellets that are spilled, they eat.

Back
Top Bottom