Problematic prolapse - would appreciate any advice as to how to progress from here.

Thank you everyone for all your words of wisdom. I can't tell you how comforting it is just to know you're all there! It feels so isolating when you don't know if your care is helping or hindering. Will see if I can find a helpful vet tomorrow.

Update: No luck on the vet front. 2 of them told me she'd be better off culled and the others I found said they don't treat chickens.

I tried, and failed, to put the prolapse back in its rightful place, but my girl insists on continuing to lay and it feels pretty hopeless. The strange thing is that, despite her mucky, protruding rear, she's absolutely fine in herself. She first prolapsed on 19th April and here we are almost a month later. She's still eating, drinking and running away from us at bath time!

We moved her from the dog crate and created a new hospital coop just for her alongside the other girls, but separated by mesh. So, they can all still see each other, but no one is tempted to peck at her. I decided that if she was going to die, I'd prefer her to spend her remaining time out in the sunshine since the darkness didn't stop her from laying anyway.

So, how long can she survive like this? Extensive research on the net has told me that most hens with a prolapse die quite quickly, but she seems fine - apart from a bit smelly. Is there anything else I should be doing for her in the absence of a vet? I can't imagine it's very comfortable for her to lay, but I can't stop her. Are we being cruel keeping her alive?

Back
Top Bottom