Problems with incubating/hatching in September

j'schicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Sonoma
I want to incubate some eggs and start a small flock of egg layers. Will the chicks survive (thrive) this late in the season? Will they begin laying in 5-7 months even though it will be cold outside? I lve in northern CA so it doesn't get too cold but it will be raining soon. What special steps are needed to support late-season chicks? Thanks!

j'schicks :

I want to incubate some eggs and start a small flock of egg layers. Will the chicks survive (thrive) this late in the season? Will they begin laying in 5-7 months even though it will be cold outside? I lve in northern CA so it doesn't get too cold but it will be raining soon. What special steps are needed to support late-season chicks? Thanks!

I just ordered chicks from a hatchery. I plan to keep them in the garage for longer (usually I only do 1-3 weeks in the garage, then brood them in the very well enclosed coop with two 100 watt bulbs).

I'm going to make sure they have a light bulb in their coop until 8 weeks (only do this if you can do it without risk of fire), whereas I usually stop the bulb at 5-6 weeks. Actually I might not stop the bulb until even weeks later (if it is really cold).

These are the things I'm planning. I just didn't want to wait until spring for more chicks!!!!

love.gif

If you provide the basics, food, water and shelter. they should do fine. By 5 weeks they should be fully feathered out so you really don't have to provide heat after that. Just keep them out of drafts and provide the normal heat until then. You will need to keep them dry in your rainy season, at least until they are fully feathered out. In theory you don't have to worry too much about them getting wet after that, but I'd personally keep them dry longer than that.

If you put eggs in the incubator soon, it should be getting real close to spring when they get to laying age. They should not be too late in starting to lay.

Back
Top Bottom