Problems with my Muscovy ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hoover67, May 14, 2009.

1. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    I have 5 females and 1 male muscovy ducks. The male keeps injuring one of the females on the side of the face. I have kept them separated but if he gets the chance to get to her, he chases her down. He seems obsessed with her. Every time he gets in contact with her, he uses his bill to cut her on the side of her face. I do not understand what is going on!

Another question. They have been laying in two different nests. We have left the eggs in hopes the will sit on them..... no luck. Is there something we should be doing to encourage them to hatch the babies?

Michele

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I would keep the drake separated from that particular female for awhile.

They will go broody when they go broody, unfortunately there is really nothing you can do to make it happen any sooner. Just keep collecting the eggs everyday. All you can do is keep an eye out and watch for one of your girls to start sitting on a nest.

3. Hoover67

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Quote:So I should be collecting the eggs? I have been leaving them waiting for them to go broody.

Thanks.
    Michele

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

How many eggs are in the nests? My Scovies like to collect a bunch before brooding. 1 nest had 24 eggs to one duck. 2nd nest had two broodies sharing and had 29 eggs. If you keep removing the eggs they may not go broody for a very long time. My 4th duck went broody after laying 13 eggs in her nest but had been laying in another nest before setting up her own spot. Don't give up, the girls will brood when they are ready.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  5. Hoover67

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Last time my daughter checked there were 13-14 in the nest. I will keep waiting. We just gotta have some baby ducklings!!!!

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by