Problems with newly hatched chick

Bean with issues

Hatching
Apr 18, 2018
We are first time Hatcher’s. One of our eggs had pipped a hole and done nothing for more than 28 hours, the membrane was drying out and sticking to the chick. The chick was still peeping and moving but looked almost side ways and was making no progress. We decided to assist it in hatching because otherwise we were certain it was not going to make it. First we peeled off shell to create a zip then used a damp paper towel to keep it damp, hoping it would come out on its own. We waited a few hours and it didn’t do anything so we decided it needed full help out of the egg. Again we were certain if we didn’t help it for sure would not make it so we peeled away all shell and membrane that was sticking to the chick. After this the chick came out with no blood but in the bottom of the egg there was a strange brown gunk. The chick seems to have many problems including a large stomach, twitching legs with clenched toes, and a wry neck, we are worried it won’t make it. What should we do next?

Update: we put him in a smaller confined space (a box) with a damp washcloth and he was able to stand up, the tremors/shaking went away and he can stand okay except for a toe that is curled under another, he is able to lift and support its neck now and we are not sure if the stomach has gotten smaller or not, right now that is our biggest worry. The little guy is peeping away and seems to be pretty alert he has jumped around a little. Although he has a very strong/bad smell and I don’t know if that is a problem or not. We are having lots of hope and giving the little guys tons of TLC! Any other suggestions.

Last edited:
Having a strong bad smell, he may have an yolk sac infection (Omphalitis).
It's not what you want to hear - but only time will tell whether or not a chick will make it. Usually the only thing you can do is watch for infection (is the navel healing up), see if the chick will begin to eat/drink. 1-2drops of poultry nutridrench per day would be good.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/yolk-sac-problems-graphic-pictures.1052862/

When they first hatch they will shake, have curled toes, big belly, and what looks like wry neck. You have to remember they were all curled up in a tiny egg and it takes time to unfold. The big belly is actually the absorbed yolk sac that he's still surviving on. If the curled toe doesn't unfold you can make a brace with the sticky part of a band aid to keep the toes straight and flat. There are all sorts of articles online and on this site for that. Give it time, he had a rough hatch and is probably very weak from it.

I had a very similar experience with a newly hatched duckling this week. I was so worried because it seemed to have wry neck and splayed legs plus it was extremely lethargic with the yolk not fully absorbed. I tried making a cast for it's neck but it didn't like it so I removed it. I dipped its bill in water so it wouldn't be dehydrated and I went to sleeping hoping for it to pull through. The next day it was still a live and it's stomach had a scab from where the yolk was not fully absorbed. It seemed less lethargic but still could not stand or lift it's head. I was disappointed... But by the end of the second day, it could lift it's head!!! So it didn't have wry neck after all! But I still worried about it's legs instead of walking it would just push itself around. So I put it in the brooder. The next day it could stand!!!! I was so happy! Now today it runs around like it's crazy even though it's a little shakey. I've gone through this with a chick before too who I thought wouldn't make it but it did. So point is, that it may just need some more time and a little extra care. It took 3 days for mine to even stand but now it's very healthy and strong. Just keep an eye on it and don't give up yet. I wish you the best of luck!!!:thumbsup

The chick seems to be doing okay except we have noticed that a couple times when it gets up it leaves behind a yellow liquid. We are worried it might have a yolk sac infection. Is there anything we can do for it or should we just leave him to work it out and maybe it will dry out? Thanks for all the help so far

Hmm, I would suggest maybe trying some antibiotics if it's an infection but the chick is so young.... So I'm not sure if I should recommend that. Hopefully others have some good suggestions. For now just make sure that it gets a lot electrolytes and vitamins in it and keep an eye on it.

Yeah the liquid sometimes happens if the navel isn't closed all the way. Sometimes they make it and sometimes they don't. If it's the navel, you can put a little iodine on it to prevent infect but I don't know if it helps if there already is an infection.

We thought it was an infection but when we turned him over we could see nowhere that the navel wasn’t closed, there was nothing unusual besides him just being a little gunky because we haven’t cleaned him off yet, we hoped for him to dry off and get a little more balance first. We need to fix his curled toe but don’t know if he is strong enough yet for the shoe thing, when do you suggest we put it on. Will it fix if we don’t do it soon. Thanks again.

I would fix the foot now. Keep it as small and uniform with his foot as possible. They don't fix on their own. He will learn to walk with it. If you have pics, that would help too.

He is doing so much better, he is walking around and his toes fixed themselves, he has eaten and even gotten a few drinks from the dropper. We cleaned him off a little and got most things off. We noticed that his navel looked pretty okay there may be a small opening but it looks as if it could heal itself but we noticed that he has been pooping but it is sometimes in a small puddle of yellow liquid is this okay, should we worry?

Back
Top Bottom