Problems With Ordering Online?

UrbanChicks435

In the Brooder
May 11, 2015
We are planning on getting baby chicks this June. A couple of our neighbors have chickens and a good friend of ours owns a rather large flock. They have suggested a couple of websites for getting chicks from. MurrayMcMurray Hatcheries and PurelyPoltry. (We will probably order from Purely Poultry because we can get a smaller amount at a time.) Has anybody had any problems with ordering chicks online? Any illnesses? Dead chicks? We want all our chicks in good condition!

Over the years I have had shipments from Meyer, Ideal and most recently McMurray. I had the occasional dead chick but the vast majority did very well. The problem for you at this point is that most breeds are sold out, if you wanted something in particular. If you don't mind a random assortment you will be able to get chicks. I would recommend ordering extras just in case something does happen to a few.

Welcome! I've ordered from MMcM, Meyers, and Cackle, all with good results. Also I've had chicks from two different show breeders with no problems, and from Townline. Some chicks will do poorly, no matter what you do. You will have a more limited selection by ordering now, but everyone starts somewhere. Getting birds of several breed types is a great way to start; you will love some, and not love others. Having some for the freezer is good too! Can you split an order with a couple of friends? That works really well. Mary

I made my first mail order in January for chicks that just hatched today at My Pet Chicken. They shipped out today and I expect them to arrive tomorrow or the next day. I was able to get two each of the three different breeds I wanted by ordering so far ahead of the hatch date.

If you want chicks immediately, you may have problems getting the breeds you want. If you don't mind waiting a few months, you can probably put together whatever order you wish.

I ordered some from Meyers last night to add to the 3 i already have they had everything I wanted and they aren't going to ship till after I get back from vacation in June they only have a limit of 3

We are planning on getting baby chicks this June. A couple of our neighbors have chickens and a good friend of ours owns a rather large flock. They have suggested a couple of websites for getting chicks from. MurrayMcMurray Hatcheries and PurelyPoltry. (We will probably order from Purely Poultry because we can get a smaller amount at a time.) Has anybody had any problems with ordering chicks online? Any illnesses? Dead chicks? We want all our chicks in good condition!

You can also check local feed stores...tractor supply has "chick days" and carries live chicks from time to time...if you wanted to go that way. Though tractor supply also has a minimum purchase (must do six I believe), others wouldn't have that restriction.

You can also check local feed stores...tractor supply has "chick days" and carries live chicks from time to time...if you wanted to go that way. Though tractor supply also has a minimum purchase (must do six I believe), others wouldn't have that restriction.

Yes, I think there is a place just a little ways away from us that has chickens. You order them and then go down a pick them up when they are ready. It eliminates having to ship them.
smile.png

This year, I bought eight (though he sent nine, just in case) chicks from a breeder. They had to be shipped across the country--from CA to Alabama. All nine arrived alive, though one had pasty butt and was kind of touch and go for a while. She made it. She's three weeks old now and SPUNKY. You have to be ready to give them support if they need it--vitamin drops like Nutri-Drench and that sort of thing.

You can get chicks locally, but unless you're picking them up directly from a breeder, those chicks have also been shipped too. We bought six chicks from Tractor Supply and lost one the first night from what seemed like shipping stress.

I didnt want to chance any chicks having them shipped since I was only get a small amount (although it seems they always have good outcomes) so i looked on craigslist in the farm/garden section and sometimes you can find brand new chicks! I got mine at 2 weeks just because they were closer to being outside.

I made my first mail order in January for chicks that just hatched today at My Pet Chicken. They shipped out today and I expect them to arrive tomorrow or the next day. I was able to get two each of the three different breeds I wanted by ordering so far ahead of the hatch date.

If you want chicks immediately, you may have problems getting the breeds you want. If you don't mind waiting a few months, you can probably put together whatever order you wish.
So if I waited till, say, August, I would get a better selection of chicks? Really?
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom