Processed a Red Broiler at 8 wks (carcass pic w/ inards)NEW ckn pics

Quote:
Thanks! Thats only the second one I've plucked, I usually skin them. A plucker is definantely in my future.

Well typically cornish x are processed at 8 weeks, they recommend processing these red broilers at 11 to 12 weeks, so thats another 3-4 weeks of feed, but I haven't lost any so for me it's about even on costs if you look at it that way. I'll let ya know how they taste!
smile.png

I'll get a scale and weigh them when I process everybody else in three weeks. I'm curious myself, to see what exact weights are.

I wrote on the bag when I sucky-vacked my birds their weights. It came in quite handy. If it was only the family, I would grab a smaller bird, for a larger crowd, a larger bird. Just somethnig to consider when packing them away in the freezer.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yeah thats what I was thinking, keep smaller ones for ourselves.

I do have to say that I am impressed with these red broilers, no they aren't cornish x, but they are meaty! Much more than any DP I've seen, and they act like chickens.

I do have to ask you though, how were your breast meats?? I tend to package in quite a variety, not just in whole chickens, but rather, thighs and legs......breast halves....whole breast in bone.......use backs for stock......wings.......wings and legs.....etc. do you think you get enough breast meat out of those for a meal?? I know it sounds crappy, but I have considered going from cornishx to something else as well so my curiosity is sparked.......
big_smile.png

Quote:
They weren't as large as a cornish x would be at the same weight, but they are definantely meaty. They looked to be longer than the cornish, not short and plump, but long and thick. I think the breast meat was sufficient for a good meal. Now if that bird would have had the three extra weeks, then they would have been even bigger. I'll see how the other's look in three weeks. That bird I processed will feed me and my family of three no problem.

Quote:
Thanks! Thats only the second one I've plucked, I usually skin them. A plucker is definantely in my future.

Well typically cornish x are processed at 8 weeks, they recommend processing these red broilers at 11 to 12 weeks, so thats another 3-4 weeks of feed, but I haven't lost any so for me it's about even on costs if you look at it that way. I'll let ya know how they taste!
smile.png

I've wondered about these myself, thank you for posting this. Do you think they go through feed as fast as the Cornish X's? Some who've raised the JM color rangers say they eat about the same amount, but slower than the CX's, so I'm wondering about your red broilers.

Quote:

smile.png

I've wondered about these myself, thank you for posting this. Do you think they go through feed as fast as the Cornish X's? Some who've raised the JM color rangers say they eat about the same amount, but slower than the CX's, so I'm wondering about your red broilers.

I don't think they go through as much, they don't sit infront of the feeder all day, I feed a non medicated 22% start/grow. I'd do the math, but I feed several other birds as well so I'm not sure of the quantity they've eaten so far. Right now they are eating 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket a day, and I have 30, well 29 now. There is still a little feed left in the morning when I go to fill their feeder again. I haven't been free ranging them all the time, they stay in the coop, and it has a small yard. I imaginge if they had a large area to range in then the feed would be even less. I let them out into the yard when I clean the coop and they run around like normal chickens, picking at stuff, flapping and running around like goofballs.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know! I can't do exact figures on mine either, same reason, I always have other birds there, too. I free range all my birds, so these guys might be a good choice for me.

Back
Top Bottom