Processed a Red Broiler at 8 wks (carcass pic w/ inards)NEW ckn pics

kooltex

Songster
10 Years
Oct 15, 2009
NE Tx
Well, I was craving some home grown chicken. My red broilers from Ideal are a about 8 wks now. So I picked one out. I was not one of the biggest, but not one of the smallest. The cleaned bird was at least 3 lbs, but not 4. So now he is chillin in the fridge for some fried chicken thursday night. mmmm can't wait. Not a bad lookin' bird. Definantely doesn't have the breast like the Cornish cross, but the thighs are nice. They don't grow near as fast as the cornishx but they are alot healthier, I haven't lost a single one. Well, till today, hehe.

42968_100_2128.jpg

42968_100_2129.jpg

Took some pic of them today ( 1/21/10 ), thought I'd share.

"Ranging" while the coop gets cleaned
42968_100_2147.jpg

"struttin'"
42968_100_2148.jpg

"Mmmm greens"
42968_100_2155.jpg

I like the pullet, I may keep her.
42968_100_2136.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah lookin good, just imagine what a few more weeks would have done to the breast.

AL

Quote:
Yeah, Ive raised them a few times before, had alot of losses, and leg problems, they are good eatin though. I wanted to try these red broilers, see how they do. I like them for personal use, but I will probably still go with the cornish cross when I market them to others, they get bigger much faster.

Quote:
Oh yeah! I think they will be pretty nice in about 3 wks, I have a few that were alot bigger than this one, but most of them are in the 3-4 lb range, maybe 2-3 of the pullets are a bit smaller.

So what would you say the cost difference is, between raising cornishx and these birds?
Is it comparable?

Back
Top Bottom