Processed-first time on my own

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Farmer Kitty, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The EE's I was given are now 14 weeks old. The one roo was a fighter so, I decided it was his time to go. I have processed before with DH helping. Today I did it all alone. I used a cone I made from cardboard and did the cut throat, pick, and dry defeathering. Went easier than DH's way of hatchet, scalding water, and wet defeathering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He weighed 2#'s 6 ozs. dressed out. Is this normal for an EE or should I wait awhile before I do the others?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Good job Kitty! [​IMG] I was out watching two cockerels being complete little devils this morning and envisioning them looking like that, but I'm just to big of a chicken to do it myself. [​IMG]

3. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Good job! Our EE dressed out around 3lbs at that age, but they were on 20% protein feed their whole lives.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:It's really not that hard to do.

Thanks, I'm not sure what percent protein these guys are on without looking. DH works in a feedmill and he makes those decisions! It doesn't matter what I say, if I want the better feed for them he is the one to decide as he is the one picking it up.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Looks good!

My chantecler cockerel dressed out at about 2 lbs 4 oz when skinless (15 wks, but he was not 'fed up' extra in preparation for slaughter at *all*), so yours seems to be in the same basic ballpark as mine for whatever that's worth.

Congrats,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by