Processing Cornish X: A First Timer's Overview/Experience (pic heavy, only 1 "graphic")

What is your relationship to processing?

• Do all my own

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Someone in my family does it

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Never have but want to

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Never have never will

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Bring them to a butcher

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters
Nice article

Thank you.

Back when I wrote that the site was called RecipeZaar and it had an active forum community. I was shocked to discover that quite a few excellent cooks who successfully tackled fancy, gourmet recipes and advanced techniques had no idea how to do something as basic and simple as cutting up a whole chicken.

I'd been cutting up chickens since I first learned to cook at age 12-13.

Does anyone else dunk in cold water after scalding? That’s what all my books say to do

I use cold water spray in my plucker. I've been told that it shrinks the pores and causes the feathers to pop out of the pore more easily in the plucker, but it takes seconds to pluck a bird in the machine and I'm not sure it would work the same way if you were hand plucking.

I do it after plucking. Not after scalding though. Which books?

“storeys guide to raising chickens” and
“The small scale poultry flock”
Both describe its so it helps the skin from continuing to heat after the scalding.

I did it when I processed two cockerels the other day, all the feathers came out easy peasy.
Just wondering what everyone else does, I’ve only done ducks up until the other day.

I did it when I processed two cockerels the other day, all the feathers came out easy peasy.
Just wondering what everyone else does, I’ve only done ducks up until the other day.
Have never tried it, no running water where I process, but it makes sense.
After plucking ducks, chicken are easy peasy(from what I've read, have never plucked a duck myself)

Back
Top Bottom