Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I was thinking about making a good soup out of him. Especially since it's getting cold out. Plus I LOVE homemade noodles and bread. I haven't bought bread or noodles in a LONG time lol. That may work since I always give mom some soup when I make it. She'd never know but she might get upset or even sick once I tell her. She's very detached from her food. I think what I was thinking about may have been the gizzard.i will remember about the gallbladder though. Good advice to know!

You might want to think about freezing the bird until all your emotions have settled down. You might not enjoy the meal until a little time has passed. I know I forced myself to eat a bite--only a bite--of the first bird I slaughtered. I didn't taste anything. That bird was was an emergency cull because one of my (&*(#$ mini Dachshunds had attacked my flock of little Silkies. There wasn't a lot of angst over killing that bird. It wasn't until the next day when we had left overs, that I allowed myself to taste the meat and was surprised at how really wonderful this bird tasted--nothing like the store-bought mush.

I made soup; out of the last cockerel I processed--I really love my chicken soup which is more like a stew but with a clear broth. I simmered the whole carcass for about an hour I think. I took little samples of the meat to make sure I cooked it until it was just tender--he was almost 9 months old. I pulled the meat off the bones when I thought the meat was barely tender and then simmered the bones all night on low. It was a fabulous soup/stew.

I made Coq au vin out of another older cockerel, but it was just too rich--delicious but rich. I don't eat a lot of gravy or fat.

No need to tell your mother where the meat came from. It's not as if it was road kill! Or her pet.

I find it incredibly bizarre that my 24-year old son will buy eggs from a grocery store (and support all the misery that goes along with commercial laying flocks) but refuses to eat one of my freshly laid eggs. He told me it was because he knew my eggs came out of a "chicken butt." He knows logically a grocery store eggs comes out of a chicken butt, but somehow buying from a grocery store magically makes that reality go away.

I love rabbit hindquarters.
droolin.gif

I really want to get into rabbits with time. Or thyme.
So far I have to say they have been easier then chickens,

I'm feeling better now about slaughtering my cockerels. This evening, I managed to make a liver pate that I actually like. With my previous cockerel that I killed, I started to cook his liver and then I just couldn't eat it. So I'm happy about this. :)

Next up, chicken noodle soup with homemade egg noodles from backyard eggs!

I'm feeling better now about slaughtering my cockerels. This evening, I managed to make a liver pate that I actually like. With my previous cockerel that I killed, I started to cook his liver and then I just couldn't eat it. So I'm happy about this. :)

Next up, chicken noodle soup with homemade egg noodles from backyard eggs!

I've got a little baggie in the freezer with one lone liver. I love pate and I have been waiting for more. I really need to butcher a larger batch so I can have some pate!

DH just went out hunting this morn for ducks and lucky him he got 2 ducks
celebrate.gif
These are the first 2 ducks he has ever got. Im very proud of him. Only problem is he forgot to bring stuff to field dress them. Does anyone know how long can a bird go undressed after it is killed before the meat is potentially spoiled. He is on his way home now so I can dress them but he shot them a little over an hour ago.

Also any tips on processing ducks would be fantastic.

Last edited:
DH just went out hunting this morn for ducks and lucky him he got 2 ducks
celebrate.gif
These are the first 2 ducks he has ever got. Im very proud of him. Only problem is he forgot to bring stuff to field dress them. Does anyone know how long can a bird go undressed after it is killed before the meat is potentially spoiled. He is on his way home now so I can dress them but he shot them a little over an hour ago.

Also any tips on processing ducks would be fantastic.
How exciting!

They are in and ice box?

They should be fine but stiff.

Back
Top Bottom