Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Be ambitious girl.....Go with 25....
Just kidding, You know I would help you if I could..

I got 15, they gave me an extra. They are all doing well, and I can't wait to get their stinky butts outside.
lol.png

I hope this doesn't sound like a strange question, but what is the youngest age one can process extra (orpington) cocks?

I'm pretty new & only processed about 5 birds with the help of an experienced friend. It was 2 old hens with egg issues & 3 extra males. I also processed a few quail by myself.

Anyway, I have some 3.5 wk old chicks for sale & it's obvious I have some males. Roosters are illegal for most people to own around here, so I usually give them away. I have someone with snakes who will gladly take extra chicks, but if they're going to be food right away anyway, why not eat them myself?

Can heritage chickens be processed at 4-6 wks? Is it as easy to do inside with scissors like quail? What about the taste? How long should they "rest" in the fridge before cooking? I'm in the "thinking" stage now, so i'd like to know what to expect. Please don't think I'm heartless. I simply can't keep crowing roosters in a neighborhood. The extra pullets will eventually sell, but the males will only add more costs. I also need to lighten my workload with all the spring projects going on.

Any advice?

I hope this doesn't sound like a strange question, but what is the youngest age one can process extra (orpington) cocks?

I'm pretty new & only processed about 5 birds with the help of an experienced friend. It was 2 old hens with egg issues & 3 extra males. I also processed a few quail by myself.

Anyway, I have some 3.5 wk old chicks for sale & it's obvious I have some males. Roosters are illegal for most people to own around here, so I usually give them away. I have someone with snakes who will gladly take extra chicks, but if they're going to be food right away anyway, why not eat them myself?

Can heritage chickens be processed at 4-6 wks? Is it as easy to do inside with scissors like quail? What about the taste? How long should they "rest" in the fridge before cooking? I'm in the "thinking" stage now, so i'd like to know what to expect. Please don't think I'm heartless. I simply can't keep crowing roosters in a neighborhood. The extra pullets will eventually sell, but the males will only add more costs. I also need to lighten my workload with all the spring projects going on.

Any advice?
I wait until they start crowing loudly. If you can wait longer, 20 or so weeks is often a spot where they slow down a lot in growth. Usually you can get a dressed weight of 3.4 to 4 pounds at that age with most dual purpose breeds.

Thighs and drumsticks will be larger than store birds but the breast will be smaller. They do taste great though because they will have developed flavor that is hard to get in a 6 week old chick.

I've found that heritage roosters usually don't start to crow until they are 10 weeks old, at the earliest. I process my extra roos when they start being a nuisance to the hens, which is usually right about when they start crowing. That's been anywhere between 11 and 15 weeks for me. My roos have been orpington-ameracuna or sussux-ameracua crosses and have dressed out at around 2 1/2 pounds. Although small, I think it is worth it. The good thing is that they are still tender enough if you want to fry them.

Any advice?

I can't help with the question on when to process, however, most areas that allow chickens consider a chicken to be a chicken over a certain age, so you can be allowed 10 chickens, but get away with having 100 meat birds because they are not "chickens" until they hit a certain age and by then they are in the freezer... So, you most likely don't have "roosters" until they are older. I would look into the wording of the regulations in your area and see if it makes that same allowance, if so, I would let them go until they start crowing. If you are good with your neighbors, just tell them that legally they are not an issue as they are not old enough to be considered roosters but, that you are concerned about the crowing in the neighborhood and to please tell you if the cockerels start bothering them and you will process at that point or before if you think they have enough meat on them.

I can't help with the question on when to process, however, most areas that allow chickens consider a chicken to be a chicken over a certain age, so you can be allowed 10 chickens, but get away with having 100 meat birds because they are not "chickens" until they hit a certain age and by then they are in the freezer... So, you most likely don't have "roosters" until they are older. I would look into the wording of the regulations in your area and see if it makes that same allowance, if so, I would let them go until they start crowing. If you are good with your neighbors, just tell them that legally they are not an issue as they are not old enough to be considered roosters but, that you are concerned about the crowing in the neighborhood and to please tell you if the cockerels start bothering them and you will process at that point or before if you think they have enough meat on them.
I never thought about that & yes, you're probably right.

We actually do have roosters. It's a legal gray area b/c our daughter is in 4H & enrolled in poultry. She does an incubation/ genetics/ science project every year & has won Best in Show all 4 years so far. The county rules state that any active 4H member enrolled in poultry has the right to own poultry. It's only a town ordinance that was created 1-2 years ago that states no roosters. (We owned them before the rule was passed but we're afraid to ask about it now. We don't want to shine a light on our situation since it's not a problem for anyone. We asked the neighbors about starting a flock 5 yrs ago before & they loved the idea. Several help us build the coop or donated building materials. (We also welcome new neighbors with a doz backyard eggs & ask them to tell us if they ever have any issues with our birds.) Did I mention that we have great neighbors?

Also, we got lucky & have a roo that rarely crows. We keep him in the garage at night. He crows 2-10 times at 8am when I 1st put him out. (Literally it's less than 5 min duration.) The #2 male doesn't crow at all. The only other time we hear them is if there's a predator. The whole flock makes warning cries & the roo crows. Of course, I'm glad they do that so I know to run outside & check.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom