Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Thanks for the review!

3.7 pounds is a nice size. The thighs will be big and tasty at that age.
Oh, and in terms of how much pressure I had to use, it wasn't too much. Definitely cleaner than, say, an axe. Unfortunately I managed to chip the blade because I cut off the wings with it ( :oops:) so I need to sharpen it before I try this again. Definitely not doing any more til spring either way—it's freezing out there.

We were freezing yesterday doing our turkey but all we did was chop and bleed out. We brought it inside to pluck and eviscerate. We started doing everything inside over the summer because we were sick of flies and it worked better than expected.
I do the killing in the Garage and the rest in the kitchen. Last summer we got a new big sink and it helps a lot!

We were freezing yesterday doing our turkey but all we did was chop and bleed out. We brought it inside to pluck and eviscerate. We started doing everything inside over the summer because we were sick of flies and it worked better than expected.
Well, that's one way to do it, lol. I brought it inside for the last rinse because I only had 2gal of rinse water out there... hose had frozen.

I do the killing in the Garage and the rest in the kitchen. Last summer we got a new big sink and it helps a lot!
Bet that's nice. No garage here, I just cleared an area in the woods that was sufficiently away from the coop to not attract predators. That dog crate with the board on it was used as a table---worked well. I angled it away from me so I could rinse it without it all rolling back towards me. Bird was hung on tree with baling twine.
P1290108.JPG

Bet that's nice. No garage here, I just cleared an area in the woods that was sufficiently away from the coop to not attract predators. That dog crate with the board on it was used as a table---worked well. I angled it away from me so I could rinse it without it all rolling back towards me. Bird was hung on tree with baling twine.
View attachment 1191669
Nice setup!
I live in the middle of a small City. I do not need the neighbors to call me in again!

Nice setup!
I live in the middle of a small City. I do not need the neighbors to call me in again!
Ha, yes, that would change things a lot. I can't think of a single person that I know in my town that doesn't at least hunt, if not raise their own beef/chicken/pork/etc. I've been the lone soft-hearted holdout until today. :)

Ha, yes, that would change things a lot. I can't think of a single person that I know in my town that doesn't at least hunt, if not raise their own beef/chicken/pork/etc. I've been the lone soft-hearted holdout until today. :)
It is great that you did it! It will be easier next time but now ever very easy

hose had frozen.

No wonder you were freezing! I couldn't be out in that cold for more than a couple minutes with all the cold weather gear I own lol

This was our bird when we first brought him in and then all wrapped up. We used a 22 quart canning pot to scald this guy and could only do half at a time lol

IMG_2847.JPG
IMG_2849.JPG
IMG_2850.JPG
IMG_2851.JPG

No wonder you were freezing! I couldn't be out in that cold for more than a couple minutes with all the cold weather gear I own lol

This was our bird when we first brought him in and then all wrapped up. We used a 22 quart canning pot to scald this guy and could only do half at a time lol

View attachment 1191673 View attachment 1191674 View attachment 1191675 View attachment 1191676
Nice pictures!

I hope to do that one year too. I need to get out of the City first though

Back
Top Bottom