Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

V

Very weird. Go sit in a corner. :lau

Ok, I know I'm wierd, but I'm already sitting in the corner!

It really depends on how you cook them and their age.

Usualy either 10-12 week old meaties or 6 month old cockerels. To cook, I typically toss them in the crock pot to cook overnight.

Ok, I know I'm wierd, but I'm already sitting in the corner!

Usualy either 10-12 week old meaties or 6 month old cockerels. To cook, I typically toss them in the crock pot to cook overnight.
You do not get a benefit for young chickens or old ones in the crockpot.

You can marinate the young ones to add flavor but that is not the same as brining

You do not get a benefit for young chickens or old ones in the crockpot.

You can marinate the young ones to add flavor but that is not the same as brining

I only use the crock pot for convenience. Throw it in at night, it's nice and cooked by the next day, then we do whatever with it. A favorite is pulled chicken....pulled apart and mixed with BBQ sauce. Occasionally I'll do the whole stuffed and oven roasted chicken but that's usualy a young meatie.

Finally finished reading this thread. I have a few more questions.

I see using gallon bags for storage was mentioned but there was some size issue. Do you think DP breeds would fit in them? Anything to be careful of with storage?

Also, I am now leaning towards neck dislocation with broomstick and then decapitating. I have done CD by hand before for euthanasia of sick birds and found it easy and fast. Whilst I have read up on it, I am still nervous. Anything extra aside from what has been covered over and over again? Is there anything I should be careful of not doing? Just looking for reassurement I guess. If I can get someone experienced to help that would be a load off my mind but schedules haven't lined up so far.

I see using gallon bags for storage was mentioned but there was some size issue. Do you think DP breeds would fit in them? Anything to be careful of with storage?

Also, I am now leaning towards neck dislocation with broomstick and then decapitating. I have done CD by hand before for euthanasia of sick birds and found it easy and fast. Whilst I have read up on it, I am still nervous. Anything extra aside from what has been covered over and over again? Is there anything I should be careful of not doing? Just looking for reassurement I guess. If I can get someone experienced to help that would be a load off my mind but schedules haven't lined up so far.

I've found that gallon zip lock bags work well for up to about a 5 lb or so bird. After that, a 2 gallon bag might be needed. There's really not anything extra you need to know. I do the broomstick method any time I butcher on my own. It really is quick and simple. Just make sure you get it right behind the head for a quick, efficient break.

I've found that gallon zip lock bags work well for up to about a 5 lb or so bird. After that, a 2 gallon bag might be needed. There's really not anything extra you need to know. I do the broomstick method any time I butcher on my own. It really is quick and simple. Just make sure you get it right behind the head for a quick, efficient break.
Good to know, thank you. As of now I don't have plans to process CX, just extra DP cockerels & spent/non SOP layers so they should fit.

Last edited:

Broomstick has worked well for me, and you don't need to be strong. Just make sure all of your weight is on the handle to make sure the head doesn't slip through. It is hard to mess up.

Back
Top Bottom