Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I took advantage of the last nice day that we were having and got a few big CX hens processed. I figured I better get it done and over with before we were back in the teens again today. We'll the first hen I did made sure she let me know what she felt about the whole thing. The second that I pulled her feet, with her head under the broomstick, she let go and rocket pooped right in my eye and across my face. I will NEVER forget that! Disguising! I was hoping to get back in the house to clean up without anyone ain't but my daughter was right there when I walked in. The look on her face was priceless as she looked at me. "Is that POOP!" I'm so glad I'm done processing for a while lol
X2 on with holding food :barnie
I had heard of people having a 'poop fountain' coming out of a cone... was enough to scare me to with hold food or do it at first light before they started eating much... which is what I did with the ones I did this thursday... it was 53f at 6am so I started setting up and started processing at 7:30 am... there was a bit of split food that had been frozen that they ate but just enough to find the crop easy.

I did 5 cockerels and a turkey thursday w/ one new blade.. before I was skinning them and now I am using a plucker.. I'll have to see how long a blade lasts now
I ordered one from Amazon and it was delivered yesterday. It is very sharp!

Anyone feel like providing encouragement, a sharp kick to the rear, or both? I have at least three cockerels that have to go ASAP... and I really don't want to. Why did I have to hatch so much? Lol.

Thinking of doing the broomstick method this time. Decapitation is hard on the poor ol' nerves. My nerves... not the chicken's.

Anyone feel like providing encouragement, a sharp kick to the rear, or both? I have at least three cockerels that have to go ASAP... and I really don't want to. Why did I have to hatch so much? Lol.

Thinking of doing the broomstick method this time. Decapitation is hard on the poor ol' nerves. My nerves... not the chicken's.
The best thing to do is to start getting everything together and setup your stations.

Starting is the thing that gets it done. Step one goes to step two and so on...You can do it!

Ugh. I know how you feel. I tell myself that the sooner I do it, the sooner it's in the rearview mirror. Visualize the pleasure of seeing your right-sized flock and non-stressed hens.
Thanks. This is what's happening right now. They're trying to kill each other.. and beat up my favourite hens. :barnie The rabble-rousing Dominique overthrew the lead cock and now chaos has broken loose among the cockerels.
P1310190.JPG

I was going to do it last week but lost my nerve.

Smaller feed bill, banty, smaller feed bill... think how nice that would be.

Thanks. This is what's happening right now. They're trying to kill each other.. and beat up my favourite hens. :barnie The rabble-rousing Dominique overthrew the lead cock and now chaos has broken loose among the cockerels.
View attachment 1285142

I was going to do it last week but lost my nerve.

Smaller feed bill, banty, smaller feed bill... think how nice that would be.

As hard as it is, I can't say that I miss those extra roos once they are gone.

Back
Top Bottom