Processing my first chicken ~Pictures added~

The Red Rooster

Poultry Observer
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Rapid City, South Dakota
I'm thinking of processing my first rooster. I've tried over and over to sell him on craigslist.. and no buyers.

I feel bad about killing him.. and I am nervous. Was it that way for you too? Do you start getting use to it after a while?

Pictures will be added-if I do decide to kill him.

Last edited:
It gets easier in the purely technical sense, as you learn to be more efficient at it... as to whether it gets easier in the psychological sense... I don't know... it is still as hard for me to do it now as it was the first time... I don't believe ending another creatures life should ever be easy... I still do it, but I always feel a mixture of guilt over the deed, and gratitude for what the animal has given us...

The first few are hard, then it becomes routine. I've seen young kids go from crying their eyes out to wanting to help kill within a matter of a dozen birds. It was always the first job for the kids in our family to do the killing. We then "graduated" to other chores, such as scalding, plucking, gutting, etc.

My least favorite part is processing gizzards. Not because it's gross but because I've never found an easy way to do it.

Thank you for the reply's.

We have already done the deed. The ending was fast and he didn't suffer. I didn't like it at all.. but it's over.

This guy isn't a meat bird... but he does have some meat.

Good job!
big_smile.png
Sometimes the worst part is the planning of it and once it's done it's such a relief.

Back
Top Bottom