Processing my first chicken ~Pictures added~

I was wondering if there was some silkie in there :) Nothing wrong with silkie chicken for dinner - lots of people around the world treasure that dark skin and meat (and I don't notice a difference in taste, but some say there is).

I was wondering if there was some silkie in there :) Nothing wrong with silkie chicken for dinner - lots of people around the world treasure that dark skin and meat (and I don't notice a difference in taste, but some say there is).
I does have a different taste (comparing it to store bought of course). He was very rubbery. He was not an old rooster either?

I may have missed it...how old was he? How long did he rest in the fridge?

Store chickens are generally 6-8 weeks old, and will be much softer than any chicken that is older - just how meat works :)

Resting (just putting it in the fridge, covered or bagged) for 4 or 5 days at that age will make the meat tender up nicely :) Makes it less chewy :)

I would've just skinned it if you don't eat the skin anyway. FAR less work. As the above poster said, I hope you gutted it, but I suppose it would be edible either way if it was freshly killed.

I'm doing my first batch of meat chickens this summer, so do you have any helpful hints for getting the scalding process right? Is there a preferred temperature? Or an amount of time at a certain temperature that seems to work just right? Since this is my first go round, I know I'm bound to make many mistakes, so I'd like to know as much as I can to try to get it right.

Especially the killing part, but secondly I don't want to waste any meat.

I'm doing my first batch of meat chickens this summer, so do you have any helpful hints for getting the scalding process right? Is there a preferred temperature? Or an amount of time at a certain temperature that seems to work just right? Since this is my first go round, I know I'm bound to make many mistakes, so I'd like to know as much as I can to try to get it right.

Especially the killing part, but secondly I don't want to waste any meat.
Use a thermometer to maintain your temp. and don't keep the bird in the water too long or it could start to cook . there are SO many sites on the Internet that can walk you through the hole process it is actually nice to see every ones different way of doing things , from the killing to the scalding to plucking and gutting , there is one guy on this site that has a whole start to finish process .that I think was the first one I had read that gave me ideas . But before you do everything do your research and look around get yourself all set up how your confortable before you start this project and have fun , In a few weeks about 2 or 3, I will start to process my birds I have 29 big fat fatties right now, this will be my second time . so good luck and keep us all posted on how your doing. Jean

Back
Top Bottom