Processing the Packing Peanuts Warning: Graphic Photos Updated pg 2

Caught this thread late. Nice job processing. I see no pin feathers or
anything.

grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
When we use to process our chickens we would use a hand held blow torch and just burn the pin feathers off, if we where out of propane for the torch we just used a burning piece of newspaper, it always worked very well and it's quick!

It's just like if you get to close to a fire and it burns the hair off of your arm.

We use a very sharp knife and open the body cavity between the dashboard (parson's nose) and the vent and the lower tip of the breast. Also we open up the area above the breast toward the neck and back. Reaching up into the cavity we peel the innards down and out. After some practice you can get it all out but it is good to double check and make sure you get the lungs and other stuff stuck to the backbone. I use a pressure nozzle on the hose and blow the inside out really well. Then I clip the wing tips and take off the feet. At this point the bird is dressed and ready to go in the house for a more detail check before going to the freezer/fridge.

Edited to add -

Once the entrails are out save the liver and gizzard and other pieces you want. Don't waste! Someone here also told me that the inside fat is good to cook down and reneder to be used to make pastry for savory chicken pie. I do plan to try that! We are fattening up 27 meat birds now.

Last edited:
If you get about a quarter to half cup of water with a pinch of salt mixed in, and you bleed the bird into it, it will gel and it makes a wonderful "tofu-like" topping to put on things like broccoli. It tastes really good. You can add more salt to taste or water to change the texture. Not too much water though.

Hi y'all,
my hubby never tasted home made mac & Cheese till I made it for him, he loves it - at first I think it didn't taste the way he thought it would.... but he prefers it now to that crap in a box!
I sometimes add meat to my mac & Cheese - then I make it a meal on its own, you can add ham, bacon, chicken - pretty much anything I would think, just mixed up with the noodles and then pour on the cheese sauce. Cheese on top and bake till melted and slightly crisp!

Those of us that are of Italian descent, know this particular preparation as chicken tetrazzini;the recipe having been around for about 200 years or so.

The meat isn't plumped up with sodium water and made to look and feel larger than it is.

So let me get this straight- you take the processed and cleaned roo and soak it, in a brine, consisting of water and salt(which,by the way,is SODIUM CHLORIDE,) refrigerated for 24 hours. What's the difference between "sodium water" and brine? I'm confused. Maybe it's magical and mystical powers at play here rather than panary(osmosis) and chemical?

Somebody asked if the chicken innards were useful other than fish bait or soup stock...I'm not sure if it was this post or another? I was taught(Italian side again,) of taking the livers of several chickens,fried in olive oil with anchovy and garlic,with a sauce of garden-fresh tomatoes and herbs,basil thyme and parsley mostly. When sauce has simmered down some of the water from the fresh tomatoes and has thickened slightly,add two shots of brandy per 6-8 servings and let that cook through...season to taste with salt and black pepper. This dish is called "Fegate `e pollo con salsa Amatrigianna." The noodle of choice for this type of sauce, cappelini, spaghetti or linguine.
the rule of thumb is:" Skinny noodles-chunky or thick sauce...wide or tube noodles-thin or smooth sauce!"

I grew up into the family restaurant,Poppo wanted me to become a chef so I joined the military and became a combat engineer!​

A mild salt water to soak the bird in helps to tender the meat and to draw out blood.

Commerical chickens are injected with a solution directly into the meat that makes it plumper and to look juicier. There are also other preservatives and chemicals in those solutions. alot of what you buy is water weight.

I love Italian foods! We cook alot of them in my house. Nothing goes in a pot or pan without some olive oil and garlic! Pasta is a big staple with us too.

We deep fry the livers and smother them in gravy. Yummy!

What kind of gravy do you smother them with?

Have you ever worked in a chicken processing plant or are you just repeating something you heard on the "well-trusted and reliable" news?

I have worked in a plant for several months, it was a Tyson's plant, and all they did was brine and vac-pac; no need to inject anything anywhere.

Most grocery stores in the deeper south carry other chickens than tyson and perdue. where I come from Claxton was a major producer of chickens for the grocery stores. Tyson was only found in the frozen food section. If you read the lables on a lot of chickens, not just whole roasters, you will find that there are those that are injected the same way water is injected into some brands of cured ham.

oh, chicken gravy of course! LOL Rendered fat and browned flour and seasonings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom