Prodigal Chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lavandula girl, Aug 8, 2010.

1. lavandula girl

lavandula girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Just a quick reminder not to jump to the predator assumption too quickly...

My boss hen, Brunhilda, went missing Friday evening. I thought I heard an odd, truncated squawk at about 5, and when I went out to coop them up, she was nowhere to be found. We searched high and low for Brunhilda, but I came to the sad conclusion that a fox probably got her. I was a little suspicious as there was no sign of struggle, no chicken parts or feathers, nothing. But she had made that weird noise. Anyhow, cut to Saturday at about noon. I'm out near the coop, checking the waterer, when the cement mixing pan next to me moves! I lifted it up, and there was good ol' boss chicken! She had flipped the thing over on herself, and had been stuck all night! She'd even laid an egg under there, in a pitch black spot about 5" high. SO... just a word to the wise, if you think you may have lost a hen, check under all the buckets and pans in the yard.

[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Glad you found her.

Imp

3. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    Very good advice. Glad you found her when you did. she is such a pretty girl.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Good advice! Chickens can get in trouble with the strangest things.

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a pan tipped over on a chick... didn't see it and thought it was gone... 24 hours later I picked up the pan and *voila* a dirty, but alive baby! [​IMG]

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Glad she was okay. [​IMG] I had one of mine tip a box over on herself. I was listening carefully, when I heard her faint squak!! Boy, was I happy!!! [​IMG] Silly things, aren't they?

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Poor cheeekaannnnn....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by