Production Red Roo vs Pullet behavior

mmcraig70

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 30, 2013
Galt, CA
Hello, everyone.
I've been agonizing over this issue for a couple of weeks now! I have two 8 or 9 week old production reds (sold to me as RIR by the way). Some of the physical signs of roosterhood have developed in one such as black, shiny feathers around the neck and a more developed comb and wattle. She's only slightly larger than her sister. I bought hese two chicks for one of my hens who keeps going broody on me. She's an amzing foster mom. Long story short: how much weighr does behavior carry when trying to determine the sex of production reds? This guy/girl acts EXACTLY like the clutch-mate (is that a word?). Absolutely no roo behavior. I dont have pics right now but i will try to get some posted. Im perplexed! Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

At that age most likely the color of the comb will be important too, if it is much more red then it's likely a cockerel. It seems that behavior varies a lot - some roos make themselves known very early, whereas others don't show any behavioral changes until later, so in general that's not a very good indicator. Comb and feathers are more reliable. The feather shape is probably more important than the coloring.

Thank you for your response. I keep looking for the pointy feathers...the last time this happened (apparently i dont learn from my mistakes) the feathers were decidedly different. They were thin and pointed. This little one is an enigma. Really allows my older hens to boss him/her around. All I can do is wait for a crow or an egg. Thanks again. When we get back from vacation i will post some photos.
Michelle

welcome-byc.gif

Some cockerels have male behavior at this young age, but many are still just babies and don't have any gender specific behavior. If your bird has a red comb at this age, it's a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom