Production Red Thread (type thingy)

Fred's Hens :

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/69833_dscf0066.jpg

Got two of these girls last March from a bin. Now I wish I had scooped up a dozen. Still young and not laying but getting closer. Very pretty non-SOP RIR. I was quite surprised when they feathered out. You never know what you're really going to get, but to my surprise, these pullets are shaping up nicely. Here's another look.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/69833_dscf0063.jpg

Those are really pretty girls. Love 'em!​

almost all breeds of chicken are 'production', there is no reason why it should have stuck to non show quality RIRs just because they were not bred to standard.

so almost all breeds of chicken should have the term 'production' prefixed to them. Not ALL, mind you

BR, RIR, BA, BO, B-eye, WR, NH, etc. are all supposed to be 'Production': that is the very reason they were created, whether for meat or egg production (even the broodies)

Some production reds are in fact offspring from more or less 'distant' crosses from NH and RIR, others, maybe in the majority, are pure RIR, just not bred to the SOP, but they are still real RIR and offspring of RIR.

red sex links, etc are not 'Production reds', as the term 'Production red' is used in common parlance today.

The derogatory term 'Production' added to RIR which are not SOP is a needless addition, since all RIRs for sure, and ALL American Breeds were bred for..........PRODUCTION.

I have 4 PR's.Little Red,Lilly,Cinnamon,and Mrs.Prissy.
Sigh seeing

Little red A awesome nice hen
Cinnamon dust bathing a curious 1

(I could only get 1 pick of Mrs.Prissy)Looking good for the roos
Lilly would not come up to pose)Wondering.

I thought I would share some pics of our girl, she is either an PR or RIR, I am not too sure and our friend who gave her to us couldn't remember what she is, she lays real pretty brown eggs
smile.png

She is also the meanest in the bunch, I had to separate her from all the others, she free ranges with her sister and a bossy banty

the Boss
101_5384.jpg

this is her with her sister, golden comet, Honey B
101_5210.jpg

The Boss looking for something good to eat
100_6127.jpg

Her sister talking away
100_6442.jpg

They were in deep chicken chatter over something
100_6318.jpg
She looks like a pr RIRS are darker and have black on the wings

Back