Production Red Thread (type thingy)

I have two that came from a TSC bin labeled RIR/NHR/PR mix.
tongue.png
They are by far the friendliest of my younger ones. Having had some lousy experiences with mean, mean RIR's, I'm glad they did whatever they did. Now if they just don't develop internal laying....

I no longer have these particular girls, but here are some non standard bred, non show quality RIR. These birds are not the F1 offspring of RIR/NH, but are rather the descendants of RIRs that were bred NOT for show quality or to fulfill 'standard' requirements.

BUT, the fact remains, THEY ARE DESCENDED FROM RIRSs:

lovely, i think:

coop2int1.jpg

get a load of that beauty on the roost!! How i wish i still had her!

coop1int2.jpg

and oh, what a nice lookin' butt on her:
lol.png

coop1int1.jpg

Those are some big lovely fluffy butted ladies, jmc!
I have one RIR, she is my most friendly pullet to people, but a mean, sneaky feather plucking beast to the other chickens. I think she is just too darn smart and gets bored easily. I have a love/hate relationship with her for sure.

I had a breeding program to try to recreate the ISA Brown Production Hybrid a few years back, but no longer have them...

but you can see them in the background behind the Production type leghorn(the ISA and Leghorn were Spent produciton hens that I saved) I was also trying to reproduce the white Leghorns

I thought I would share some pics of our girl, she is either an PR or RIR, I am not too sure and our friend who gave her to us couldn't remember what she is, she lays real pretty brown eggs
smile.png

She is also the meanest in the bunch, I had to separate her from all the others, she free ranges with her sister and a bossy banty

the Boss
101_5384.jpg

this is her with her sister, golden comet, Honey B
101_5210.jpg

The Boss looking for something good to eat
100_6127.jpg

Her sister talking away
100_6442.jpg

They were in deep chicken chatter over something
100_6318.jpg

Quote:
lovely birds. i suspect your meany is a non standard bred descendant of non standard bred RIRs. (Obviously though, if she is full sister to that golden comet, she isn't an RIR) I fail to see the validity in the term 'Production' Red. There seem to be some genuine logical problems with giving that name to the descendants of RIRs just because they are not 'up to code'. i'm gonna start a thread on that topic in the not too distant future i hope

Last edited:
69833_dscf0066.jpg

Got two of these girls last March from a bin. Now I wish I had scooped up a dozen. Still young and not laying but getting closer. Very pretty non-SOP RIR. I was quite surprised when they feathered out. You never know what you're really going to get, but to my surprise, these pullets are shaping up nicely. Here's another look.

69833_dscf0063.jpg

Last edited:
I like the term Production Red. That's what I want from mine - reliable egg production. I purchased Rhode Island Red eggs, and that's what my little cuties are. Just not the deep mahogany heritage RIR. I knew that, and preferred it. I'm up to my ears in heritage broody hens. Enough already! Somebody has to lay an egg around here.

So everyone else can sit on it...
tongue.png

Here are my two. They are about 4 weeks old now.

100_4076.jpg

The one with butt in air is a boy. And fingers crossed for the other one to remain girly. I'm pretty sure she's a she. I had picked her out very early on as smaller and more delicate than the other.

Back
Top Bottom