Programmable automatic feeder

kunsangsean

Chirping
Feb 4, 2023
Hey all,

I am planning to install a Run Chicken automatic door on our duck house so they ducks can get out in the morning if I sleep in. I have an idea to try to train them to go in the coop at a certain time at night - by having an automatic feeder drop feed into their bowl at the same time every evening, and have the door close after they've had time to get inside. I am picturing a vertically mounted piece tube (4 inch pvc or something) with a battery powered programmable gate/valve on the bottom. Does anyone know of such a device? When I search "automatic feeder" it mostly shows the gravity fed type, not programmable ones. The Run Chicken door is a bit on the small side, but hoping it will work for our runner ducks. Any experience with that too would be appreciated.

I actually had the same idea. For the feeder, I’m using the same mechanism as I’m using for my door. A Wi-Fi programmable water valve. For the door, attach an arm to the valve to get the right range of movement, and for the feeder, a larger diameter section of pvc, open on the end, that gets filled with food and when the arm drops will empty into the feeder dish.

This is the YouTube I saw originally with the door design.

The food might not be necessary. My ducks go inside on their own after sunset 99% of the time. Food wouldn't help the 1%: scared, blocked, made a stealth nest, etc.

One thing my door has that you might want to include is a sensor for when a bird is in the doorway. It'll stop and go up, then try to close again a minute later.

I've the same need. Have the feed noisily drop at sunset. ?20min later the coop door closes. Seems successful free-range ducks, that get tasty tidbits occasionally, would be rather hungry for the commercial stuff and responsive when that takes place each evening.

My present thinking is to use a programable fish feeder that sprays pellets 360 degrees. I'd place a 5 gal bucket upside down and around the feeder to noisily block the flying pellets. They would rattle against the inner bucket walls, then drop down into a pan for hungry ducks. The coop door closes. They are safe for the night.

I guess you could build a gravity feeder with an enclosure. It's door would only allow their head thru. No room for your ducks to stand in their feed. End of day, a timed auto door opens and closes to allow your ducks to feed for a short time.

Back
Top Bottom