Progress in my homemade incubator updated with **PICS**

Jaybr

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Matoaca, VA
So I built my own bator out of a spare kitchen cabinet and a proportional thermostat I had leftover from a snake I once had. The bator is working great holding steady temps between 99.5-99.7 and humidity at 45%.

Here's the build thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=62380&p=1

I
put 13 guinea eggs in on 6/16, and 11 BR eggs on 6/21.

So today is day 17 on the guineas and day 12 on the BR's

I candled today and had 5 clear guinea eggs and 1 clear BR egg. I cracked them all open when I threw them out and there was nothing growing.

Of the 8 guinea and 10 BR eggs left, I can see movement in them all
smile.png

This is my first time hatching, I guess the clear ones weren't fertile?

Last edited:
Quote:
None where shipped, although my driving may have scrambled them. I picked up the guinea eggs about 10 miles from the house, the BR's probably rode a couple hours in the truck.

Well, you would have known when you cracked them open... the yolk would have been broken.

They were probably just not fertile. Did you check for the bullseye? The white spot that shows that it is fertile? It looks like a white bullseye on the yolk.

Quote:
I learn something new everyday. Only 1 of the guinea eggs had the white spot, and the yolk was broken when I opened it. The other 5 eggs had yolks intact and no white spot.

Last edited:
Day 18/23 on the eggs, I turned one last time this morning and added a couple bowls of water. I've got the humidity up to around 62-63%. Is this high enough or should I try and get it up more?

When I candled a couple days ago, 1 of the BR eggs looked like it stopped developing. All others I could see moving chicks inside.

Back
Top Bottom