Progress with Preventing Duck Dumping - We Hope

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Recently I learned that progress is being made with discouraging people from dumping ducks and ducklings.

Kim Link at Majestic Waterfowl has apparently been in contact with Tractor Supply Company about this. She reports that they "will put this signage up where all of their ducklings are sold NATIONWIDE: “NOTE: Most domestic ducks cannot fly or migrate and should never be released into the wild or public areas.” This verbiage will also appear in their care brochures distributed in stores and viewable on their website! AND... They've asked us to write up a little blurb on duckling/duck care as well! Woo hoo!!! Thank you, Tractor Supply for listening, recognizing and responding to help stop the abandonment of ducks!"

Let us duck folk continue to write letters to the editor and do what we can to educate and advocate. And if you know someone who succumbed to the cuteness, let's all work to help out with advice or, if needed, rehoming.

Before we know it, it will be that season when ducks, rabbits and chicks will be sold. Hard to believe, with some of us in the deep freeze. But it's on its way.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is fantastic news... thanks so much to everyone that helped to make it happen!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Great news!

4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    That is wonderful!!!!!!
    Who is doing the write up on the duckling/duck care? Will that be given out to everyone that purchases ducks from them? What about chicks/chickens? Do you know if anyone is doing a care sheet for them?
    I think this is such a good thing.
    Yay Kim Link and BYC duck forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    As far as I know, someone associated with Majestic - I am assuming, anyway.

6. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]

7. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

That is AWESOME!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by