Project Babies!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tastybabies, Feb 4, 2014.

1. tastybabies

tastybabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    So I've got these golden lakenvelders that should be hatching soon, not trying to count my chicks before they hatch, BUT IM EXCITED!! I had this mixed cockerel hatch a few months ago back in October, the chosen one, as his mama hen murdered the crap out of the rest of the babies that hatched out with him. She loved and protected him to pieces throughout his life though. He still sits in the nesting box with her when she broods her eggs. ANYWAYS, I'm thinking about breeding him to some of my golden lakenvelders. Mostly to see how the chicks will turn out. I'm looking to see if I can get a lakenvelder with a spotted chest essentially.
    This is Satellite, aka the chosen one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He does have a lot of mismatches that won't follow through with a true Lakenvelder I know, wrong comb, thick chest, etc. The list could go on. But I feel for a mix breed he has potential. He's only 3 months and I can't wait to see him feather out fully.

Satellite also has a sister from a different hatch. Same mother hen, different rooster.

In addition to a golden lakenvelder pen, I will also have a silver spitzhauben pen. I also want to introduce Leo to a purebred to see what kinds of chicks she throws. Leo has silver spangled hamburg roots in her which gave her the polka dots. She is also 3 months old and still growing and finishing feathering out.

[​IMG]

I love the idea of having purebreds kept pure, but I also believe in the richness of genetic diversity that is yielded from cross breeding. Always mutts before inbreeding.

This is a personal kind of forum for me to keep track of these guys. Anyones welcome to comment or keep up, or share your polka dotted birds, or your dreams, or your recipes for pies, anything.

2. tastybabies

Dec 24, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Got 6 silver spitz officially growing in the incubator! Fingers crossed everyone makes it out! I think I'm in love with how the roosters look over the sweet little hens. But that's just because I miss Dennis, my awesome patriotic half breed rooster. He's Leo's fathering rooster. Wish he came out with the spangling, but I'll settle for what he contributed to Leo.

[​IMG]
    Dennis has a lovely new home now with 3 of my former mama hens and 4 children to adore him. Thug life, getting babied and hand fed corn. No more roosters to compete with.

3. tastybabies

Dec 24, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Satellite will have to find a new crew for breeding. We lost our golden lakenvelders when the snow storm cut our power. The incubators werent running for a few hours. Bummer! But not all were lost!

4. tastybabies

Dec 24, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    [​IMG]
    One big fluffy lucy goosey baby made it to hatch day! We share a birthday too!

And today the silver spitzhaubens are hatching!! so excited for more polka dotted chickens!!

5. tastybabies

Dec 24, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    [​IMG]

Baby spitz! so cute and big nostrilled!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by