1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Project bird question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by quibs, Nov 21, 2011.

1. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    I am interested in starting a project breed mixing the dark egg laying of the marans with a black skin/feathered bird that also has feathered feet/crest/beard and the long tails of the phoenix. I know that the feathered feet/beard/crest are all dominant (at least partially) and that the black skin of silkies (a possible choice for the feathering genes) is sex linked, but what about the long tail and dark egg genes?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:FibroMelanotic is not sex linked, but id+ is, wich will allow FibroMelanotic expression... breeding for dark eggs is a big project, because you will have to wait for hens to mature and lay... you will have to raise many so you can select the best ones. its a Huge project.. for now I think you should focus on Dark skin and long tail.

3. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    I already know the scope of this project. I was planning on doing the crossing in two stages, the first stage I was going to breed silkie girls and phoenix roosters then take the best dark skinned/fully feathered/long tailed roosters and breed back to the silkies for better skin tone and so on. Then once I get the feathering I'm looking for to breed relatively true I would start introducing the dark egg genes. This is going to be my general goal in the chickens I am raising for the foreseeable future so time isn't a problem. Are the long tails of the phoenix dominant? Would the F1 crosses be anywhere near the length of the phoenix tails? I would assume breeding for tail length is just as daunting a task as breeding for the dark eggs, both of which I am prepared for. My question is if these traits are dominant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by