Project criticism - what do you think a project is?

I for one am ecstatic that you share your projects. I love watching the progress. In addition to what you are working on, your birds can be used for other projects. But, I too am hesitant to share some of my projects just to avoid the criticism. Some people are very passionate about some breeds and there has been a LOT of conflict with one of the breeds I am going to start a project in, so......

What an interesting problem. This happens in science all of the time: people want to share their provisional results with the scientific community, and then they are criticized for their methods.

I don't have any words of comfort to offer you except that it is part of the process of innovation, and you are in good company. The proof will be in the pudding: when all is said and done at the end of the day (perhaps even by using some of the more constructive criticism) it will all be water under the bridge.

Did I add enough cliches to that sentence?

I too am fascinated by ongoing projects and the work that goes into them. I generally share my efforts in hopes of getting others interested, getting feedback on my birds and the direction they are headed in, or what I need to work on to improve them (and how).

It makes no sense to me for someone to disparage someone else's interest and efforts. I don't care for certain books, hobbies, activities or even TV shows, but if they appeal to someone else, why should that matter to me?

You sure touched a nerve
smile.png

Goodness, I did not realize your lavendar orpington project was coming under such scrutiny, and frankly, I just don't get it. First of all, why is it anyone else's business? If you don't like what you see, then don't buy hatching eggs or stock! I'm very sorry that some folks go to such great lengths to chat it up about a project in such a negative way. I personally think of a "project" EXACTLY as you have explained it.

I think as BYC grows, there will be many, many more opinions...both positive and negative. I think the goal ought to be not to let them get you down! Folks who don't understand should educate themselves by asking questions and doing research. Not by negative banter. Sorry to hear this. But - keep up your AWESOME work, and know there are those of us who absolutely support you!!!
big_smile.png

ETA: just a thought - maybe we could add a separate area under breeding for projects - then, folks who aren't interested simply need just ignore that area!

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that Krista and it's a shame because we feel as passionate about the breed as those criticizing. The exception here, is we are working hard to develop it further.

I find it unfortunate that folks don't want to share their projects because I am sure there are many who would enjoy them and want to follow the progress. I can only hope those who enjoyed watching our projects took something positive from them and are considering their own as well.

I agree Renee, some day it will all be water under the bridge. I know what I accomplished so far and what I brought to poultry and that is all that really matters. Some will enjoy it and well, I can't worry about the others.

The only thing I think is stupid about projects is me. I just can't grasp the genetics concepts. I really want a red orp, any suggestions on what I need to do to get one? (besides buying one)
smile.png
I think all you people who understand this stuff are absolute geniuses.

I love the project breeding threads. I live vicariously, because I don't have room of my own to breed. I think that it is interesting to follow the thought processes and goals. To introduce a new color, and then to set about getting that color into a breed and breeding back to breed standard is interesting.

Back when I was a kid, the farmer that I weeded for kept "Ameracaunas" that laid lavender eggs. And before you Amercuana police jump in and tell me this is not possible....the breed standard was established in 1984, much after my childhood chicken experience.

Things change, and it is wonderful to be able to follow the process of change with interested people.

Keep posting Jody!

I think it's very interesting. There are so many cool birds out there because of people who were willing to invest time and money in these projects. I can't understand why anyone would have a problem with this. I wish I understood a little more about this genetics stuff. I'd so be on this bandwagon. One day I hope to be.

Keep up the good work!!!

Paula:)

The main thing with projects is space and then trial and error. Attempting crosses to see what the outcome is and trying again when it doesn't work out. And have fun with it!

I'm sure MP could give you better advice on red orp projects, but I worked on them briefly years ago using RIR X Buff Orps. The resulting offspring were beautiful, but due to space restrictions I didn't continue with it. I am sure most of those birds are long gone now, but they were fun at the time.

Back
Top Bottom