Prolapse and dead tissue

OK - so the tissue is healing under what looks and probably smells like a nightmare because she can't help but poop on it, poor thing. I would NOT try to push it back in because inverting that scab could start an infection. Also there are so many attachment points between the scab and the healing tissue that trying to push it in will just make it all take longer. Let the scab do its work.

The pulsating is 100% normal, if you watch closely on your other hens you'll notice their vents constantly move as the hens breathe and move around, it's just more pronounced with her because her poor little bits are stuck outside for now.

Definitely keep up the daily clean, then dry and oil/ointment it up. One day (it's hard to know how long because I don't know how much tissue damage she sustained) you'll notice the base of the scab start to loosen, and a gentle peek under the edge will reveal healthy looking tissue, which will seem impossible because of how the scab looks.

Usually it's 2-3 days out from the point the scab starts to loosen at the base that you'll find yourself with a thick black chunk of nastiness scab that comes off with a cleaning.

Once the scab comes off, if you can give her a little more oil/ointment before things go back inside, do that. From there it's been my experience that things go right back in and stay in and she might even look pretty grateful! From there I keep them separated for at least another couple of weeks waiting for several incident free egg layings before putting her back, then of course it's a daily thing to make sure she hasn't done it again.
Thank you so much for the info! I will definitely be doing as you say. I can say slowly that is what is happening. It's been a week since I noticed this on her and she is still alive and kicking. So I think so will overcome this.
Thank you again!

@NikaStar how is your silkie doing?
She is getting better, I think. The prolapse is getting smaller.. or drier (I guess it's all become a big scab). She is eating and drinking 1/2 glass of water a day.. sometimes more. She is still getting baths, ointments on her prolapse (honey, vaseline, coconut oil, and prep.h cream) mixing and matching during the day. She seems ok. So will continue.
Will update with pictures this weekend.

Thank you so much for the info! I will definitely be doing as you say. I can say slowly that is what is happening. It's been a week since I noticed this on her and she is still alive and kicking. So I think so will overcome this.
Thank you again!

Hopefully soon you'll have a nice chunk of nasty scab slide off and a nice healthy healed chicken bits to push back in. Once that day comes, I would stick with just the ointment for the (hopefully) last treatment right after the scab comes off but before the healed areas go back inside. I wish I'd taken a picture of the scab and the healed areas from the last one. The scab was nasty! There will come a point where it will seem like the scab could come off - but if it doesn't easily slide off leave it the extra couple days and continue with the treatment.

This is an update. The prolapse is getting smaller... or dried up more. These pictures are after a wash, all cleaned up as much as possible. Rubbing vaseline around and giving antibiotic still. She is actually very active, pooping a lot, eating and drinking a full cup of water within 24hrs.
The scab, dead tissue is not ready to come off. It seems to annoy her because I saw her trying to pick it.
Not sure what else I can do.
She seems to also be calling me or to other chickens in the morning. Shes in the house in the basement.. maybe shes just answering our parrot that she hears upstairs.. hes very loud in the morning.

20220301_133011.jpg
20220301_132908.jpg
20220301_132901.jpg
20220301_132959.jpg

Update.
The scab is getting really dark and kind of falling off, not completely ready to though, it still looks like it has alive tissue inside... I'm a bit worried though... the chicken is doing great, shes very curious about her surrounding and is active- eating, pooping and drink lots. It's become a chicken chase to get her to soak in a bath :) so she just be feeling good to run around (first few days of her prolapse she was just standing around and not moving much) so big difference in attitude now.
I am worried that this dead tissue is going to take with it the canal that lays the egg. In the picture everyone can see that the red right part is where the poop comes out, but the bottom black area is actually where the hole is that the eggs come out of.... or is not anatomy understanding wrong?
It seems to be dying off and the jig scab is going to fall off in the near future.
Please consult me on what's going on, does anybody know?

20220305_103338.jpg
20220305_103348.jpg
20220305_103403.jpg
20220305_103409.jpg

Back
Top Bottom