Prolapse and dead tissue

Is the tissue hanging outside pink at all or pretty much dark/cyanotic? Keeping the prolapse tissue moist with oil or honey at all times until it stays inside is important. If it dries out it will die. If it is already staying dark, it may be necrotic, but since she is a silkie, it may be hard to tell. It can take days for some prolapses to stay in, so I would keep trying to push it inside. Some chickens do not survive a prolapse, but many do. It can happen again. I wish you luck treating her. Make sure that she is getting feed with 4% calcium, and give calcium until the prolapse stays in. Can you feel an egg inside?

Is the tissue hanging outside pink at all or pretty much dark/cyanotic? Keeping the prolapse tissue moist with oil or honey at all times until it stays inside is important. If it dries out it will die. If it is already staying dark, it may be necrotic, but since she is a silkie, it may be hard to tell. It can take days for some prolapses to stay in, so I would keep trying to push it inside. Some chickens do not survive a prolapse, but many do. It can happen again. I wish you luck treating her. Make sure that she is getting feed with 4% calcium, and give calcium until the prolapse stays in. Can you feel an egg inside?
I cant feel an agg, maybe its without a shell? But I csnt feel it, it's been a few days and she hasnt nad an egg, but I am keeping her in the dark.
There is apart of the prolapse that is pink, where she poops from (its T rhe upper right side).
I attempted to put prolapse inside at night... it stayed in for about 10min and then she popped it out again. Did that about a few more times and went to bed. She keeps having "contractions" like butt is breathing moving in and out... that's why it keeps popping out. But she seems "active" as much as that can be understood.
I'm using vaseline for now. Honey just seemed to dry out faster.
Yes shes a silkie, but is their prolapse going to also be dark? If its red inside where poop comes out?

I cant feel an agg, maybe its without a shell? But I csnt feel it, it's been a few days and she hasnt nad an egg, but I am keeping her in the dark.
There is apart of the prolapse that is pink, where she poops from (its T rhe upper right side).
I attempted to put prolapse inside at night... it stayed in for about 10min and then she popped it out again. Did that about a few more times and went to bed. She keeps having "contractions" like butt is breathing moving in and out... that's why it keeps popping out. But she seems "active" as much as that can be understood.
I'm using vaseline for now. Honey just seemed to dry out faster.
Yes shes a silkie, but is their prolapse going to also be dark? If its red inside where poop comes out?

Is the prolapse crusted over and scabbing anywhere? If so, she had some damaged tissue that needs to heal before it's going to stay inside. I just had one of these on a 1st time egg layer, the egg got stuck half way out. We used coconut oil (you can find this in the grocery store by the olive oil, veg oil etc) to keep it moist along with daily washes. The tissue will heal under that nasty black crust.

I applied the coconut oil especially at the base of the prolapse closest to the vent by the healthy tissue- then pretty much it healed and during one of the cleanings, I was able to slip the big crusty nasty scab right off, then the healthy healed tissue went right back in. She's now been laying eggs, including some large eggs, without issue.

If she's laid internally and has material stuck inside, that's a whole other problem that usually doesn't have a happy ending. If there is no scab with damaged tissue, and preparation h isn't helping, another thing to try is hydrocortisone cream.

Is the prolapse crusted over and scabbing anywhere? If so, she had some damaged tissue that needs to heal before it's going to stay inside. I just had one of these on a 1st time egg layer, the egg got stuck half way out. We used coconut oil (you can find this in the grocery store by the olive oil, veg oil etc) to keep it moist along with daily washes. The tissue will heal under that nasty black crust.

I applied the coconut oil especially at the base of the prolapse closest to the vent by the healthy tissue- then pretty much it healed and during one of the cleanings, I was able to slip the big crusty nasty scab right off, then the healthy healed tissue went right back in. She's now been laying eggs, including some large eggs, without issue.

If she's laid internally and has material stuck inside, that's a whole other problem that usually doesn't have a happy ending. If there is no scab with damaged tissue, and preparation h isn't helping, another thing to try is hydrocortisone cream.
Thank you!
I hope it's a scab.. but I feel like the whole prolapse is just dry and yes feels scabby. Shes able to poop though and is eating and drinking... but always seems to push.. like contractions. Nothing seems to be inside. It's been 3+ days.. if an egg was still inside she would have died by now, no?
Plus it's not all black... it's all dry and either white from cream and or poop that wont come off after washes and feels like a scab.
Should I still try to put it inside or just keep rubbing it to heal and be "moist"?

Update. This is how it looks. First picture is how it looks when I check on her, there is dark areas, not sure of that's how her bits looked before since she has dark skin or its dying tissue. Other parts inside are red. Butt he white parts are not coming off after wash. So I just lather her up on top after washes on the dry parts.
20220222_160817.jpg
20220222_161158.jpg
20220222_161145.jpg

Good pictures. I think you are doing the best you can. It looks like there is healthy tissue at the base of the prolapse. The scab may eventually come loose. I would continue to soak her in warm Epsom salts or dish soap and water, and try to loosen the scab when it softens. Then reapply the ointment as you are doing. Hopefully the scab will come off soon.

Good pictures. I think you are doing the best you can. It looks like there is healthy tissue at the base of the prolapse. The scab may eventually come loose. I would continue to soak her in warm Epsom salts or dish soap and water, and try to loosen the scab when it softens. Then reapply the ointment as you are doing. Hopefully the scab will come off soon.
Thank you!!!! I trully hope all will be ok with her. Shes been such a good sport.

Update. This is how it looks. First picture is how it looks when I check on her, there is dark areas, not sure of that's how her bits looked before since she has dark skin or its dying tissue. Other parts inside are red. Butt he white parts are not coming off after wash. So I just lather her up on top after washes on the dry parts.
View attachment 3001495View attachment 3001496View attachment 3001497

OK - so the tissue is healing under what looks and probably smells like a nightmare because she can't help but poop on it, poor thing. I would NOT try to push it back in because inverting that scab could start an infection. Also there are so many attachment points between the scab and the healing tissue that trying to push it in will just make it all take longer. Let the scab do its work.

The pulsating is 100% normal, if you watch closely on your other hens you'll notice their vents constantly move as the hens breathe and move around, it's just more pronounced with her because her poor little bits are stuck outside for now.

Definitely keep up the daily clean, then dry and oil/ointment it up. One day (it's hard to know how long because I don't know how much tissue damage she sustained) you'll notice the base of the scab start to loosen, and a gentle peek under the edge will reveal healthy looking tissue, which will seem impossible because of how the scab looks.

Usually it's 2-3 days out from the point the scab starts to loosen at the base that you'll find yourself with a thick black chunk of nastiness scab that comes off with a cleaning.

Once the scab comes off, if you can give her a little more oil/ointment before things go back inside, do that. From there it's been my experience that things go right back in and stay in and she might even look pretty grateful! From there I keep them separated for at least another couple of weeks waiting for several incident free egg layings before putting her back, then of course it's a daily thing to make sure she hasn't done it again.

Back
Top Bottom