Prolapse In Year Old Pullet - (Resolved)

I've been searching the web as I am a first time chicken owner with a chicken who has a prolapse....she is only a year old....acting normal other than the prolapse and I can't get it to go back in.....she is still laying eggs . What should I do? Do I stop feeding her layer food and keep her in the dark so she'll stop laying eggs and try to get it to go back in.....it's been there about 3 days now....or is it to late and should I put her down? HELP

I've been searching the web as I am a first time chicken owner with a chicken who has a prolapse....she is only a year old....acting normal other than the prolapse and I can't get it to go back in.....she is still laying eggs . What should I do? Do I stop feeding her layer food and keep her in the dark so she'll stop laying eggs and try to get it to go back in.....it's been there about 3 days now....or is it to late and should I put her down? HELP

DON'T PUT HER DOWN! It may take a few times putting it back in for it to stay. She should naturally stop laying eggs for a bit. You can confine her to a large cage or pen to minimize her activity and keep her separate from other chickens who may peck at the prolapse. Google this first but I've heard preparation h can be used to shrink the prolapse. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks Carlie, we're going to keep trying, but at the same time, we don't want her to get infected and suffer....its been three days and I just discovered what it was today, so I'll keep trying. She laid an egg yesterday and again today....what if she doesn't stop laying? Both eggs have blood on them and I fear she'll get infected....but we're not giving up yet....will keep you posted....thanks again from Maine

Thanks Carlie, we're going to keep trying, but at the same time, we don't want her to get infected and suffer....its been three days and I just discovered what it was today, so I'll keep trying. She laid an egg yesterday and again today....what if she doesn't stop laying? Both eggs have blood on them and I fear she'll get infected....but we're not giving up yet....will keep you posted....thanks again from Maine

Try not to worry too much! I just went through this with my hen and was convinced it would not resolve, but it did. CarlieO has good advice!

I only began treating my hen's prolapse on the 2nd or 3rd day. I treated for about 3 days, then stopped entirely and left her alone for a week. It then returned on its own. What breed is the hen?

You can try bathing her in warm water (blow dry if you do). You can try putting the prolapse back in, but in many cases if it isn't ready it won't stay. For me, I had to wait until the prolapse went in on its own accord.

You can apply honey or Witch Hazel to help shrink it - also antibiotic ointment if you're worried about infection. Warm bathing will help to keep it clean even if there is a secretion from the vent. Soaks of 15+ minutes are good if you can keep the lower part of her body in the water for that long.

Laying can definitely set back your progress. I might try separating her and restricting feed, because egg laying doesn't allow the prolapse to heal. After she is separated, she may lay another egg before she stops producing them. On the other hand, if she's an extremely nervous chicken...separating may not be a good idea. I would try it and see if you can allow her to relax in a dark area.

Don't give up. If she's still acting normally, eating, and drinking, then that's a good sign. Some have had their prolapses resolved after many weeks.

If you decide to do some treatment, I recommend buying some disposable rubber gloves, as you may go through several
smile.png

Also helpful, if you have these things on hand, are:

-Human probiotic powder (just a pinch - you can give it inside a grape. If she is stressed or you are worried about infection/vent gleet this may help.)
-Vitamin E oil (may help shrink tissue)

How does the prolapse look? It can look very dirty/ugly, but may still go back in as mine did...

Good luck!

Also helpful, if you have these things on hand, are:

-Human probiotic powder (just a pinch - you can give it inside a grape. If she is stressed or you are worried about infection/vent gleet this may help.)
-Vitamin E oil (may help shrink tissue)

How does the prolapse look? It can look very dirty/ugly, but may still go back in as mine did...

Good luck!
Hi there,

New chicken mom here with a prolapse girl. Yesterday I freaked out when i saw it then researched quickly. I soaked her for 30 minutes, pushed it back in. It came right back out, then pushed it in and held her in for like 10 mins, she pushed it back multiple times over two days and it’s still pushing out.

I tried honey and preparation H.

When I kept her alone, she wouldn’t eat or drink, so now I have her in with the flock. They aren’t bugging her and she seems happy and normal. I don’t know what else to do.

Please help she’s very kind and gentle.

Back
Top Bottom