Prolapse , please any advice

That’s great you got her the implant. Sometimes it takes a day or two to kick in so keep checking her abdomen to see if she has an egg. The dose Dudley is getting is very small and only lasts 2 months. I’m working on that with the vet. When she gets hers she’s only a day feeling under the weather and doesn’t put her into molt. The higher doses may. Did they give her an antibiotic?
Hi , No they didn’t and I’m cross about that as I asked them to as they took her away . They said they thoroughly cleaned around the area and I asked about infection when they brought her back out after said they hadn’t given her anything . You’re not allowed to go in with your pets due to social distancing so it’s a pain really when you specifically ask and they either don’t pass the message on or ignore you . She was panting like mad and very distressed so I didn’t want to send her back in afterwards either . I know what to look out for thanks to you and I hope and pray that tomorrow morning I’m not looking at another prolapse. She’s been fine all afternoon , cheeky as ever and running around being comical but I’ll have a restless night tonight wondering what the morning will bring . Vet said there’s very little data on how long it’ll last or side effects etc . She said it can last anything from 2 weeks to a year or more depending on the duck , so it’s entering the unknown really . I had a friend whose chicken had an implant and that lasted 6 months . I’ll keep you posted , Annette

Hi , No they didn’t and I’m cross about that as I asked them to as they took her away . They said they thoroughly cleaned around the area and I asked about infection when they brought her back out after said they hadn’t given her anything . You’re not allowed to go in with your pets due to social distancing so it’s a pain really when you specifically ask and they either don’t pass the message on or ignore you . She was panting like mad and very distressed so I didn’t want to send her back in afterwards either . I know what to look out for thanks to you and I hope and pray that tomorrow morning I’m not looking at another prolapse. She’s been fine all afternoon , cheeky as ever and running around being comical but I’ll have a restless night tonight wondering what the morning will bring . Vet said there’s very little data on how long it’ll last or side effects etc . She said it can last anything from 2 weeks to a year or more depending on the duck , so it’s entering the unknown really . I had a friend whose chicken had an implant and that lasted 6 months . I’ll keep you posted , Annette
This is the same thing Dudley’s vet prescribed her. 1/4 of a 250 mg tab twice a day for 2 weeks if you think it’s necessary. If there was any bleeding whatsoever I would just to be safe. You can buy this online and I’ve seen it at tractor supply. Keep us posted how she’s doing . Hopefully fast recovery. Prayers for the little lady and for you . I know this is stressful.

Attachments

• 72AD3323-F217-40E6-9BAD-58DCB323D0F1.jpeg
    72AD3323-F217-40E6-9BAD-58DCB323D0F1.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Did they tell you what the dose of the implant was or can you tell by your receipt?

Last edited:
Did they tell you what the dose of the implant was or can you tell by your receipt?
Morning ,
No , no receipt as nobody allowed in to pay , you ring up after you’ve returned home and pay over the phone . I would imagine they’ve started her on the smallest dose though to test the waters first . I’ll have a look on line for the antibiotic this morning

Netty, how is the patient doing? No more eggs I hope.
She laid an egg as normal yesterday morning , no prolapse afterwards thankfully but there was no egg this morning . She’s been very quiet and has slept a lot today . She’s still eating and drinking normally though , just seems a little out of sorts . Hopefully that’s all her egg laying done for a while , fingers crossed and double crossed . Thanks for asking . I had no idea if the implant would kick in straight away so it’s all a bit of a learning curve !

Well that’s great she didn’t prolapse. Fingers crossed no more eggs for a few months now anyway so she has time for everything to heal up. Dudley has taken 2 days sometimes to stop laying after an implant and she’s always tired and quiet for a day or two after so that’s totally normal.

Well that’s great she didn’t prolapse. Fingers crossed no more eggs for a few months now anyway so she has time for everything to heal up. Dudley has taken 2 days sometimes to stop laying after an implant and she’s always tired and quiet for a day or two after so that’s totally normal.
Thanks for the reassurance , I’ve been really weepy and upset over it all , panicking about what would happen to her if she kept prolapsing x

Thanks for the reassurance , I’ve been really weepy and upset over it all , panicking about what would happen to her if she kept prolapsing x

I know they’re such a worry when stuff like this happens. You did everything right though so most likely a good outcome. Keep us posted how she’s doing .She should start feeling back to normal in a few days.

Miss Presley is still holding her own , no eggs , lost her massive appetite but I expect that’s because she isn’t producing an egg a day . She greeted me atop a straw bale this morning so she could get a first glimpse of me coming to let her out which is a totally new thing , her mate was stood with head cocked staring at her wondering who this new girl was !

Back
Top Bottom