Prolapse? PLEASE HELP!

Coloradopo-ta-toe

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2019
I'm pretty sure this is her first egg. What can I do to help her?!

Attachments

• 20190927_191209.jpg
    20190927_191209.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 16
I'm pretty sure this is her first egg. What can I do to help her?!
She is egg bound and prolapsed.
Watch this video and see if you can help her this way. I've never had to deal with this but this video is worth watching.
Good luck with her.

Not off to a very good start. Poor girl. She needs moist heat and calcium and lubrication.

Get a crate out and place a heating pad on the lowest setting inside. Then wet a big bath towel with very warm water and ring it out in the washer so it's not sopping. Place it on top of the heating pad.

Give your hen one calcium tablet of at least 400 mg. I use calcium citrate from Walmart. Pop it into her beak and she will swallow it. This is crucial to help stimulate the egg to come out.

Then coat her vent, careful not to break the egg, with oil, mineral or olive or coconut oil. Then place her on the damp towel. Dim the lights and leave her to relax. Check on her frequently.

If the egg hasn't popped out in an hour or two, you may need to glove up and grease the fingers to try to coax the egg out.

If all else fails, you may need to puncture the egg to collapse it, careful not to let any egg get backed up into the track. This is absolutely the last resort since it's very risky.

If her vent continues to prolapse, there is treatment we can discuss.

She is egg bound and prolapsed.
Watch this video and see if you can help her this way. I've never had to deal with this but this video is worth watching.
Good luck with her.

Thank you for the video!
I put her in the sink and was able to gently squeeze the egg out pretty quick. Hopefully caught it quick enough :fl, was able to push what had come out back in a bit but it came back out when she tried to poo. Shes in a dog pen in the bathroom.
Thinking I should try to let her relax for a minute before taking her back out and cleaning/ trying to put "things" back?
I don't have a heating pad so I put the heater on. She's not too wet all said and done.

What do you think is appropriate rest to trying to clean her up?

It has to be my favorite chicken too. :barnie
Poor thing.
Thank you again for the help/ comments.

The after image:

Attachments

• 20190927_201539.jpg
    20190927_201539.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 11
Not off to a very good start. Poor girl. She needs moist heat and calcium and lubrication.

Get a crate out and place a heating pad on the lowest setting inside. Then wet a big bath towel with very warm water and ring it out in the washer so it's not sopping. Place it on top of the heating pad.

Give your hen one calcium tablet of at least 400 mg. I use calcium citrate from Walmart. Pop it into her beak and she will swallow it. This is crucial to help stimulate the egg to come out.

Then coat her vent, careful not to break the egg, with oil, mineral or olive or coconut oil. Then place her on the damp towel. Dim the lights and leave her to relax. Check on her frequently.

If the egg hasn't popped out in an hour or two, you may need to glove up and grease the fingers to try to coax the egg out.

If all else fails, you may need to puncture the egg to collapse it, careful not to let any egg get backed up into the track. This is absolutely the last resort since it's very risky.

If her vent continues to prolapse, there is treatment we can discuss.

Should I still give her calcium now that the egg is out?
I've been feeding them all flock and have a free access feeder of oyster shell.

Should I still give her calcium now that the egg is out?
I've been feeding them all flock and have a free access feeder of oyster shell.
Good job on getting the egg out!

Yes, I would still give the calcium, it will help with contractions and retention. If the tissue is still exposed and won't go back in, then keep it moist with ointment, oil or honey.
Sometimes the swollen tissue takes a while to reduce so it can go back in.
I would also see that she's drinking well.

Can she poop?

Yes, calcium should be give to any hen as soon as you see she's having a reproductive track crisis. Do that first. One tablet each day until this issue resolves.

Next, get some Vetericyn spray, witch hazel, and some cortisone cream and Preparation H in case she needs to be treated for prolapse. If the prolapse won't remain inside when you gently shove it in, spray the Vetericyn on it, then hold a witch hazel soaked cloth on the vent for a minute.

Push the prolapse back in. If it pops back out right away, smooth on some cortisone cream and push back in. You don't need to stand there all night doing this, but check on her often and push the prolapse in when you see it out. Swap off Prep H with the cortisone, and use the witch hazel compress and Vetericyn each time.

Hopefully, her young age and resilient tissue will render the prolapse short lived. I had a ten-year old hen this summer with a prolapse that took five days to remain inside. You may need to be persistent and patient.

Back
Top Bottom