Prolapse? PLEASE HELP!

[QUOTE="Wyorp Rock, post: 21798360,
Can she poop?[/QUOTE]

Thank you!
I think she's struggling. She got out a small poop, made a squeak noise and I noticed most of what i had pushed back in came out. Now she's just standing, trying to relieve herself, not much more than a bit of watery white stuff has come out.

Yes, calcium should be give to any hen as soon as you see she's having a reproductive track crisis. Do that first. One tablet each day until this issue resolves.

Next, get some Vetericyn spray, witch hazel, and some cortisone cream and Preparation H in case she needs to be treated for prolapse. If the prolapse won't remain inside when you gently shove it in, spray the Vetericyn on it, then hold a witch hazel soaked cloth on the vent for a minute.

Push the prolapse back in. If it pops back out right away, smooth on some cortisone cream and push back in. You don't need to stand there all night doing this, but check on her often and push the prolapse in when you see it out. Swap off Prep H with the cortisone, and use the witch hazel compress and Vetericyn each time.

Hopefully, her young age and resilient tissue will render the prolapse short lived. I had a ten-year old hen this summer with a prolapse that took five days to remain inside. You may need to be persistent and patient.

I don't have calcium tablets on hand or witch hazel... I will get some in the morning. I do however have vetericyn (bought it about a month ago for "just in case".
So should I... clean her off again, push the prolapse back, spray vetericyn, then let her rest- say for the remainder of tonight, then proceed with the steps listed above tomorrow?

Thank you again!!!!! :bow

Yes, to all that. Pushing the prolapse back in every time you check on her is part of the treatment, sort of like retraining it to go where it belongs.

Do you have any cortisone cream? It will counteract the swelling so the prolapse will eventually stay inside. The witch hazel compresses will help shrink the swollen tissue as well. Use the Vetericyn each time as that will help prevent bacteria from being a nasty actor in this.

Do what you can and leave her to sleep. You may just find things back to normal come morning.

I would continue the calcium citrate for a good week to help condition her reproductive equipment. If you have Tums, one tablet will serve the same as the calcium supplement. When you buy the calcium citrate, get the kind with D3 added.

Yes, to all that. Pushing the prolapse back in every time you check on her is part of the treatment, sort of like retraining it to go where it belongs.

Do you have any cortisone cream? It will counteract the swelling so the prolapse will eventually stay inside. The witch hazel compresses will help shrink the swollen tissue as well. Use the Vetericyn each time as that will help prevent bacteria from being a nasty actor in this.

Do what you can and leave her to sleep. You may just find things back to normal come morning.

I would continue the calcium citrate for a good week to help condition her reproductive equipment. If you have Tums, one tablet will serve the same as the calcium supplement. When you buy the calcium citrate, get the kind with D3 added.

Ah! Alternatives! You rock!
Cortisone- check
Tums- check

Thank you again! I'm feeling much more confident in helping her. Your explanation and reasons are super helpful!!!

Back
Top Bottom