Prolapse that feels like shredded tissue...

Dianahhrn

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2021
My 2 year old Sapphire Gem had a huge prolapse that may have broke as she expelled clots once I had her in warm water. It won't stay inside - so now she is in a dark area. We have NO vets for birds within at least 100 miles. I am feeding corn, vitamin water and gave her an Antibiotic orally. I fear she torn open? She expelled many large clots but also there was some yolk I think. She did not have signs of an egg. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• harriet.jpg
    harriet.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 27
Welcome To BYC

How is she doing?
I don't think I've seen a prolapse that looked like that - in my own flock nor in photos here on BYC.

I'll be honest, it doesn't look very good and I'm not sure if that is even repairable. You are there and can see/feel it better than any of us can. It can be a tough decision and I do understand, I've had to put a hen down with an irreparable prolapse.

Keep us posted.

Welcome To BYC

How is she doing?
I don't think I've seen a prolapse that looked like that - in my own flock nor in photos here on BYC.

I'll be honest, it doesn't look very good and I'm not sure if that is even repairable. You are there and can see/feel it better than any of us can. It can be a tough decision and I do understand, I've had to put a hen down with an irreparable prolapse.

Keep us posted.

I believe you are right and it is so hard but it does help to have someone agree with what I have been believing also. Thank you.....

My Harriet is still alive! I couldn't put her down - she seemed comfortable. She is pooping normal and I have seen wet spots. I have been giving her one antibiotic a day, stopped soaking her (she doesn't like it), feeding her layer food and mealworms. The tissue just 'hung out' and then dried up. I have her on puppy training pad in our laundry room (Nebraska) and could see blood spots for about 4 days. No blood in the last 3 days - Last night the tissue could be broke off then cut off right up to the vent. Then I soaked her / cleaned her up so she will look 'normal' in the coop.

I'm just hoping that was her egg tubing and she won't want to lay eggs - kind of like a hysterectomy? I would love if she can just live out her days.

Today, I will see if she walks ok. I stopped the antibiotic as that is hard to give, unless someone has better ideas?

Maybe out to the coop if she does walk ok - or wait a few more days? It's so cold here.....

Back
Top Bottom