Prolapse vent maybe

TerriL

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Holden, Missouri
Hello I need your help. I have a Turken chicken that probably is 2 to 3 yrs old and about 4 months ago I think she molted but never grew her feathers back. I brought her in the house and noticed that she had poop all over her bottom so I washed her and kept her in the house for a couple of weeks. She ate good but didnt want to stand up so I looked her over and did not see a problem. I put her outside in a house with a blind rooster and blind hen. So there she sat, I gave her vitimins and fed her boiled eggs and pellets. So now its 3 months later and I decided this morning to look at her again and figure out why when I try to get her to walk she sits down. I washed poop off her and there it was (whatever it is) near her vent, about the size of a marble and and a nice flesh color a bubble. I have been looking at all the pics of prolapse and this is nothing like that. No blood, not red, when I push lightly on it she said it hurt so I stopped.

My question is this since she has been sick for 4 months and this just showed up now do you think it is a prolapse or something else like an abcess. Sorry I dont have pics. Do you think that her feather problem and not wanting to walk caused the prolapse?
I wish she would grow her feathers back but I cant find anything to help that.

Please give me you best guesses. She has tried to survive all this time I would like to give her more help but not sure what to do.

Thanks Terri

I am not sure but I can certainly understand your worries.
consoling2.gif

Did you give her some extra protein when she molted so she could regrow her feathers without too much stress on her system? Did she ever get any pin feathers anywhere or is she 100% featherless? I know Turkens have naked necks and fewer feathers than other breeds and wonder if its genetic disorder? I am also wondering if it could be a tumor of some sort that is causing problems with her hormones.

Is her poop abnormal? Can you have it tested for worms and cocci in case clearing that up (is she has any) could help her get a bit better?

It may be really helpful if you can get a picture posted--if you can, try to get one or get some help posting one. I am wishing for a more experienced person to help you.
fl.gif

Chickerdoodle, I did increase her protein also vitimins but nothing helped. She is not completely bare but her feathers on her back look strange, fall out if I pick her up. No pin feathers. I will try and get some pics when I get home. I guess putting honey on it wont hurt regardless of what it is so I will see about pics before I try honey. Thanks you so much for your help, she seems healthy otherwise, eats food, weight is good but never gets any better and now the prolapse or whatever. Thanks again. Terri

I honestly don't know Terri, but the feather issue as well as her paralysis appear consistant, however the paralysis travels to the muscles that regulate breathing which causes death. I was if she could have a mild form? I am sorry that I can't be more helpful but here is a very good site to look at and see what you think;

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/205400.htm

I hope someone else comes along that could provide more insight.

If you read through the website I gave you you will come across this "Leg paralysis is the only sign in mild intoxications". I believe you are dealing with a mild form. I would try treatment as described in the website, she may have a chance of recovery.

Please keep us posted.

Chuckzoo, when I say she cant walk I dont mean she cant want in the strick sence of the statement. She can walk but as soon as she tries she sits I think the prolapse hurts maybe. She will walk a few steps. I took some pics as soon as I find out how to download pictures on this site I will post them. Thanks for all the info. Terri

43038_mvc-008s.jpg

43038_mvc-007s.jpg

43038_mvc-006s.jpg

43038_mvc-005s.jpg

Here are the pics of my sick chicken I hope this makes it more clear what she looks like. I did notice tonight that the prolapse looks more like what I think prolapse looks like. Still dont know why the feather problem, I think the prolapse hurts and that is why she doesnt like to walk. Thanks I look forward to more ideas about what I can do. Terri

Hello, I am sorry I have been trying to figure why I havent gotten anymore help with my sick chicken. I must have done something wrong when I tried to post my pics. If someone will let me know if you can see my message I would appreciate it. I dont do much posting and this is the first time I tried pics. I still need help with my sick chicken. Thank you very much Terri

Back
Top Bottom