PROLAPSED VENT, GLEET?

The_chik_hen_house

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
My hen just laid her first egg! Pullet sized.
Now she has a prolapse vent!
I soaked her for 20 mins in Epsom water(warm). And gently pushed it back in with some lubricant. I palpatated and did not feel another egg, nor did I while I pushed it back in. However it keeps popping out.
Now I am worried that she may have possible gleet, so I am offering her yogurt in small amounts. I do not smell any odor coming from her vent or mouth.
She isn't acting any different. And is currently preening her wet feathers.
I enclosed pictures of her vent, as well as a poo she relieved after I pushed her vent back in.
Can this be sometimes normal for first time layers to prolapse their vent on their first egg?
Any advice on keeping her vent in would be appreciated.
TIA!

Attachments

• 20210916_090645.jpg
    20210916_090645.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210916_090653.jpg
    20210916_090653.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210916_092048.jpg
    20210916_092048.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 23
Did you notice any yellow-white discharge before this?
Otherwise I would think she is egg bound. It sounds like she is continuing to push. She won't stop until the egg is out, which if more than a day or two of strain like that could kill her.
Not at all an expert but I would consider taking her to a vet. We had a prolapsed vent issue with one of our hens the other month. Vet couldn't find an egg either.. Vet sutured her up, we kept her in a dark comfortable area for about 4 days. And an ointment the vet prescribed to be applied to the area for infection. And once the sutures were taken out she laid an egg right on the table. She was in fact egg bound, with an underdeveloped egg. The pressure from her pushing against the sutures helped her pass the egg. We have not had a problem since. We upped her calcium intake and she has healed well.

Your hen is young, and if she hasn't gotten adequate calcium it's very possible this could be the issue. From my experience.

Also, I know you said she laid one and now she keeps prolapsing. This is unfortunately very common once a hen prolapses. It is likely it will continue happening. Suturing the area would give time to heal, treat for infection and hope that she will make a smooth recovery.

Back
Top Bottom