Prolapsed vent - is this common?

Evilpugsmama

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2020
How common is prolapsed vent in chickens? My flock consists of 2 hens approx 8 months old, 2 cockerels and 4 pullets all approx 4 months old. In June 2020, my hens began to lay. Betty was inconsistent but Chikira was my champion layer. She laid consistently same place same time everyday. Last week though I noticed betty’s bum was streaked with poop. I took her in the bath to wash her and seemed to enjoy her little spa day. I decided to do the same for Chikira but when I went to wash her bum I saw a red bulge. I knew what that was and panicked. From everything I’ve seen online the outcome is not positive. I gently pushed it back in and observed her. She was eating and drinking and pooping normally but I kept an eye on her during the day and she seemed fine at bed time. She must’ve deteriorated overnight because she was the only one that did not exit the coop in the morning. When I went in to grab her I looked at her bum and there was an intestinal noose hanging out. I really freaked out but I was going to try and help her. I took her back to the bath to try to relax her. She was panting and looked weak. I lubed up my glove and tried to use everything back inside her. While I was in there I felt around for an egg to see if she was egg bound as she hadn’t laid in a couple days. I couldn’t feel anything blocking. I managed to push everything back in but within a couple minutes it seemed like even more came out. Chikira was too weak to stand and was quickly fading. We ended her suffering and buried her. This was the most traumatic experience in my short time as a backyard flocker. How common is this? I don’t know if I can go through this again with my other babies. We miss her and her BFF Betty seems lonely without her contemporary to roam the yard with. Is this preventable?
C35ECA81-F347-441B-A392-B24B7D3DF670.jpeg 9F64A05D-9C5A-4C61-BB18-AAF146DCFD3D.jpeg

Attachments

• 571CA909-D99F-4BB4-9D99-582D7FA20229.jpeg
    571CA909-D99F-4BB4-9D99-582D7FA20229.jpeg
    350.2 KB · Views: 1
I would guess that she may have had some sort of congenital weakness. I have dealt with reproductive tract prolapses, but never with an intestinal prolapse. You did the right thing in ending her misery. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom