Prolapsed vent won’t stay in

jeepgrrl

Songster
Feb 25, 2017
North Central Ohio
Hi all,

I found my almost 4 yo Cuckoo Marans, Gemma, with a prolapsed vent yesterday evening. It’s pretty large. She had some feces stuck so I gently removed that. I soaked her for 15 min in warm water and cleaned her up. I used Vaseline and was able to push the prolapse back in, but she contracted and it popped out again. I went back and forth with this for about an hour, then put her in the coop for the night since her flock mates haven’t bothered her up to this point. She laid an egg y’day so there wasn’t one stuck, but I’ll have to recheck her today for that. Is there a certain way I should position her when trying to push her parts back in? Y’day Gemma had stood for me when I was trying to push them back. I‘m open to any suggestions y’all might have to help poor Gemma!

Hi all,

I found my almost 4 yo Cuckoo Marans, Gemma, with a prolapsed vent yesterday evening. It’s pretty large. She had some feces stuck so I gently removed that. I soaked her for 15 min in warm water and cleaned her up. I used Vaseline and was able to push the prolapse back in, but she contracted and it popped out again. I went back and forth with this for about an hour, then put her in the coop for the night since her flock mates haven’t bothered her up to this point. She laid an egg y’day so there wasn’t one stuck, but I’ll have to recheck her today for that. Is there a certain way I should position her when trying to push her parts back in? Y’day Gemma had stood for me when I was trying to push them back. I‘m open to any suggestions y’all might have to help poor Gemma!
I had something very similar happen to my PBR. I tried rubbing Preparation H on it to reduce the swelling. It didn't really help. She would push it back out as soon as she felt it in there. I couldn't leave her like that so I had her euthanized.
If it keeps popping out because she pushes, I'm not sure what can be done. She will push every time she poops and obviously when she lays an egg.

Sometimes honey works better, it keeps it moist and will help reduce swelling. I keep manuka honey on hand for this. Plain white sugar will also help with swelling. Sometimes you have to hold the prolapse in for a longer time for it to stay, put it back in and sit with her on your lap and use a soft, clean cloth to hold it in for 20 minutes or so. I've seen some people wrap them with vet wrap to hold it in longer. But if it absolutely won't stay in, then euthanasia is usually called for. Some birds will prolapse once and never again. Some will do it over and over.

Many people post here about prolapses which keep coming back out for days or a week. Always keep that red prolapse tissue from drying out, and honey, a mild vegetable oil, vaseline, coconut oil, or sugar mixed with a few drops of watsr will all accomplish that. Stopping the hen from laying temporarily by keeping her in the dark for 16 hours per day, can be helpful. When she stops laying, which may take up to 3 days, she can resume normal activities.

Many people post here about prolapses which keep coming back out for days or a week. Always keep that red prolapse tissue from drying out, and honey, a mild vegetable oil, vaseline, coconut oil, or sugar mixed with a few drops of watsr will all accomplish that. Stopping the hen from laying temporarily by keeping her in the dark for 16 hours per day, can be helpful. When she stops laying, which may take up to 3 days, she can resume normal activities.
When one of my white leghorns prolapsed last spring. I bathed her clipped some feathers around the area. My WLHs were sleeping in nest boxes at their former owner so they had pretty bare butts. I put coconut oil on the prolapse and push it in gently. I held her upside down with the head down and butt up. She was such a good little patient. Didn't poop in my house or fight me at all. I was very surprised. I put her in a dog cage in the coop and cover it with a piece of navy fleece. I let her up on the roost the third night. I only had to put it back in 2 or 3 times. Cross your fingers it doesn't happen again.

Then last August something scared my bird and I had left that *&^#@ wire dog cage in the coop. I had been sitting on it talking to my birds and bent the top. I usually covered it with that fleece but she jumped out of a nest box right on top and caught her food. Poor baby. She has a lump all around that leg. Took about 2 weeks for her to really get around good. But so far no more incidents. She was getting on the roost when I didn't really think she should but she didn't injure jumping down in the am.

So her prolapse only lasted 3 days but I was worried it would be 2-3 weeks. Tough bird.
It really amazes me how they heal so well and pretty quickly too.

Back
Top Bottom