PROLAPSED VENT

Could you post a picture of her vent? How old is she and does she lay eggs? Keep the prolapse clean and keep it lubricated with honey or some type of oil, and try to push it back inside and hold it there for a few minutes. It may come back out, but just keep trying to push it back inside until it eventually stays in. Make sure that she is able to poop. Soaking the vent area once a day in warm Epsom salts or soapy water can help to heal and keep her clean. Here is some reading:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Could you post a picture of her vent? How old is she and does she lay eggs? Keep the prolapse clean and keep it lubricated with honey or some type of oil, and try to push it back inside and hold it there for a few minutes. It may come back out, but just keep trying to push it back inside until it eventually stays in. Make sure that she is able to poop. Soaking the vent area once a day in warm Epsom salts or soapy water can help to heal and keep her clean. Here is some reading:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/
I swear it was really pink when I saw it earlier and bulging. Her crop is squishy, is that normal?

Attachments

• 570FF538-2968-4AE6-8CC1-CE26421B91AC.jpeg
    570FF538-2968-4AE6-8CC1-CE26421B91AC.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 21
She may have had a temporary prolapse, and it has gone back inside. Some hens will have one partially when they lay an egg. Check her crop in the morning when it should be empty. A squishy crop in early morning before eating might be the start of sour crop, especially if there is a bad or sour odor from the beak.

She may have had a temporary prolapse, and it has gone back inside. Some hens will have one partially when they lay an egg. Check her crop in the morning when it should be empty. A squishy crop in early morning before eating might be the start of sour crop, especially if there is a bad or sour odor from the beak.
She just laid the grossest thing I’ve ever seen after an epsom salt soak. She is taking it easy in a small dog crate until morning.

Attachments

• 9C60190E-875B-47E1-831A-4C7CFEB4E948.jpeg
    9C60190E-875B-47E1-831A-4C7CFEB4E948.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 24
That may be why she had a prolapse, since it looks like 2 closely back to back eggs. Are the shells soft and rubbery or hard? Soft shell-less eggs are much harder ro pass. She would benefit from giving her some human calcium with D3 1/2 tablet or 1/2 Tums daily for several days. Hopefully, this was a temporary glitch.

That may be why she had a prolapse, since it looks like 2 closely back to back eggs. Are the shells soft and rubbery or hard? Soft shell-less eggs are much harder ro pass. She would benefit from giving her some human calcium with D3 1/2 tablet or 1/2 Tums daily for several days. Hopefully, this was a temporary glitch.
They were soft. I gave her some plain yogurt earlier to just get her to eat something. I plan on upping the calcium after this. Do you think she will be okay to rejoin the flock tomorrow?

Just an update for anyone who may be following:

I did keep her separated last night after soaking her and she laid the soft shell eggs. I gave her water with electrolytes in it, and covered the cage to keep her stress levels down. This morning she had relatively normal, brown droppings and was eager to get out of the crate. She immediately ran to the food and ate her normal feed as well as some oyster shell. She is moving much more and is more alert this morning, back to her normal self. I will update further if she shows signs of being sick again when I get home tonight.

Back
Top Bottom