promised my wife i'd ask!

jsawler

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
Kentville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
k , so we have quite a few coops on the go. yet we are new to keeping chickens as pets! so we have 1 coop with 3 roos in it, another with 27 young chicks and bantys in it.plus a roaming roo we call ''mutt'' cause he roams the yard. mutt belonged to a group of three ''trouble'' roos we got from a friend. ''mutt'' was the problem. we got him to be ''o.k.'', so I go and buy a hen and roo combo. this roo is very big and aggressive. battles ''mutt'';chases ''mutt' right out of the coop, and ''mutt'' leaves , and goes to my boat house as his new home
sad.png
. so now , the 27 young birds and bantys are ready to come out of the new coop. the big roo , puts a ''whopping''' on any that come out!

I say...''cull'' the big roo...my wife says ''nooo'' , he is gorgous , and doesn't deserve that.
rant.gif
. so i'm on here asking advise of what to do with these birds?????? I think ''CULL THEM'' , but my wife justifiably wants me to come on here and ask for advise first. so i'll ask......

thoughts?????

That's a tough situation.

I'd say lock up the big rooster for a while and allow the other chickens to come out. You might try putting that big rooster in a cage in the coop so he can see all the other chickens. This might help him get used to them without putting a "whooping" on them. :)

Do you plan to use this big rooster for breeding?

Maybe if you isolate him for a few weeks that might bring him down in the pecking order? We did have one really aggressive rooster that would attack all the other chickens and roosters. After a few weeks he started chasing our kids, so he had to go. May he RIP.

That's a tough situation.

I'd say lock up the big rooster for a while and allow the other chickens to come out. You might try putting that big rooster in a cage in the coop so he can see all the other chickens. This might help him get used to them without putting a "whooping" on them. :)

Do you plan to use this big rooster for breeding?

no , my wife just doesn't want to ''cull'' any roos. I have no problem feeding pets, but if this roo is a problem to the rest of the flock....I gotta figure something out!!!!

I do have another temporary coop coming up in the next few days after my meat birds get ''culled VERY soon. so I have that option....but water is soon going to freeze here, and all these coops are going to get annoying.lol

never thought about it till now; but I do have a large dog kennel that I could put him into I guess. if I do, should I put him in the coop with the rest to observe them, and sort of co-mingle?

Try the cage idea to give the rooster a chance. Put the crate in the coop so all the chickens can see each other. I'd say keep him in there for a few days with food and water in the crate. Let's call it jail time. :)

If that doesn't work, I say have a nice big roast chicken dinner.

Last edited:
Maybe if you isolate him for a few weeks that might bring him down in the pecking order? We did have one really aggressive rooster that would attack all the other chickens and roosters. After a few weeks he started chasing our kids, so he had to go. May he RIP.

see, IMO you're a smart man for that!!!! my wife's opinion;.....not so much! lol

Try the cage idea to give the rooster a chance. Put the crate in the coop so all the chickens can see each other. I'd say keep in there for a few days with food and water in the crate. Let's call it jail time. :)

If that doesn't work, I say have a nice big roast chicken dinner.
in the coop , or in the ''meaty'' coop?

The rooster needs to be in a cage in the coop with the chickens you want him to live with.

The meat chickens won't be around much longer.

Back
Top Bottom