Proper feed for laying ducks

Brassmaster

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Wayne County, Ohio
Quote:
Oh gosh, I wrote that? It was my drinking night.

At least then you could always pick him out of a crowd, he would be the one with the funny waddle.... LOL

chiknwhisperer

Songster
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Lowell, IN
Quote:Oh gosh, I wrote that? It was my drinking night.

At least then you could always pick him out of a crowd, he would be the one with the funny waddle.... LOL

gander007

Crowing
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
South Western Death Valley, Ca.
Yes I know this post is older then my boots but I am trying to find out what is going wrong with my Piking ducks as the beaks are loosing color and turning a whitish color instead of the nice yellow color and I have been using flock raiser and if I am missing some mineral or vitamin I would like for someone to let me know what I am doing wrong as it has only been going on the last several months and just this morning I noticed the one duckling is also loosing the nice bright yellow color in the beak ........

If you look at baby ducks beak you can see what I am writing about .....

Okay you can only see Bob's beak as Aflack is hiding hers .....

A night shot but Aflack is closer ......

Janay

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
Cape Cod, MA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,
I have a similar question: I have 6 ducks and 2 drakes, 1 to be re-homed soon, I hope. One of my ducks just started laying. I have heard some different opinions and want some more advice before I decide. Which feed should I feed my duck flock? Flock Raiser? Or Layer? Oyster shell on the side? And thoughts would be appreciated as I will be going to the feeds store within the next few days.

Janay

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
Cape Cod, MA
My Coop
My Coop
One more thing: what about feeding them wheat a well? Or at least the drake? You put it in a large container filled with water, right?

gander007

Crowing
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
South Western Death Valley, Ca.
Hi,
I have a similar question: I have 6 ducks and 2 drakes, 1 to be re-homed soon, I hope. One of my ducks just started laying. I have heard some different opinions and want some more advice before I decide. Which feed should I feed my duck flock? Flock Raiser? Or Layer? Oyster shell on the side? And thoughts would be appreciated as I will be going to the feeds store within the next few days.
I prefer to use Flock Raiser, for my ducks and geese and I do soak their fee in water for the simple reason of less waste of feed .....

Richb353

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
Howey In The Hills, Florida
I've been feeding my flock Purina Layena crumbles, then pellets since I've had them. No reason other than I had little knowledge and it was on sale the same time I got my ducklings. Regardless of my ignorance, I've never had a problem with it. Sometimes I will switch to the Dumor Layer Pellets when it's on sale. I wish they made the Flock Raiser in pellets (it's only in crumbles) because it specifically mentions "ducks" on the packaging.

I'm picky like that,
Rich

Top Bottom