proper housing???

FairfieldChicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 3, 2009
Burford, Ontario
I have 50 eggs incubating, hoping for a min of 30 hatch, any over will be more than happy to accept
tongue.png

I am wondering if anyone has used a truck cap to house quail...??? I am going to make a carpendars mesh run outside of it, take out the glass windows and replace with mesh and leave one open so they have access to the run, and leave the back gate thing normal so I can have access to eggs and such... should I build a platform for it or just do a regular coop for them... got a few weeks to figure it all out, just keeping my head up... any ideas??? the truck cap thing is close to the ground and I dont wanna be crawling through mud and poop for a few eggs. but raising it could be an option...

sounds like it should work . It should be high enough so as you can get in . crawling in burd poo sounds BAD. what kind of quail are you incubating ? & what kind of incubator are you using?

I have button quails, tiny lil goobers, cant wait for my bumblebees to hatch
smile.png

Im using a big old cabinet incubator that has done wonders for my chicken eggs so far
smile.png

I can do about 200chicken eggs, but have only done about a dozen at a time.,, I want to do loads, just trying to find them at reasonable prices

huh?? no... was asking how to raise my truck cap if it would be safe for them to live in, or I would build them a seperate coop from my chickens, as some of my chickens sleep on the floor of their coop and take up alot of space... I said in the previous post I was wanting to raise... just unsure of how... I can have them living in muck and poop without me being able to get in to clean it out.

PS... my previous post states it was close to the ground... just wondering if it should be higher.. sorry. trying to be understandable..

Last edited:
Well you need your quail separate from your chickens for sure, they really need a different food and chicken diseases can kill quail. Also the feeders and drinkers that suit quail are so much smaller than those that suit chickens.
Quail do much better off the ground, they don't like damp and parasites like worms are hard on them. Maybe can you make a fine mesh flooring that is raised off the ground that the poo falls through? If you make the flooring on a slight angle (5 degrees or so) the eggs will roll to the low end for collection. Here is a thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280575 with some other people's quail pens that might give you some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom