Proper way to hold a chicken?

I do love my chickies and I do hold them by the legs if they need be to catch/move them. And they are all alive. I also will hold them sometimes by the very tops of the wings, as it is easy, and they don't seem to mind it one bit. That is how you hold pigeons. BTW, I do that only with bantams, such as that is the ONLY way I can get a grip on my prize sebrights. It would probably hurt a large bird.
Ashlyn

Holding a chicken properly is one thing, but how the heck do you catch one? Especially those flighty ones that run from you? Without injuring her? Or scaring her to the point that she will always run away from you.

Yes I have one of those.
smile.png

I have held my meanie upside down by her feet.... she just relaxes and does act a bit better all up until I leave. The others we wither hold up beside us with one arm or my really tame ones let you just slip your hand under them, legs dangling, and just sit there
wink.png

Here's my DH with Roxie ...shhhhh... don't tell him I showed you all this pic!
lau.gif

100_4467Large.jpg

* IDK. Mine doesn't run away and lets me pick her up, no problem. She'll sometimes flaps her wings or tries to climb my hands and perch on my arm-- I just put her down immediately and pick her up again, then tuck her under my arm in loose 'football' hold. (shrug)

Back
Top Bottom