PROPER WING CLIPPING TO AID IN CONTAINMENT WITH PERIMETER FENCING

Pics

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
There is considerable debate on this site concerning the efficacy of wing clipping and how it is to be done. Several links can be found concerning how to clip wings with diagrams given in most. Most show only one wing being clipped. Many people assert that wing clipping is not effective at constraining chicken flight. Many also assert the clipping should be asymmetrical or unilateral where only one wing is clipped. Logic behind that approach is that that balanced wing function is more effective than symmetrical wing feathering regardless as to whether clipping is done or not. Here I report results of a backyard experiment where a group of 29 juveniles approximately 13 weeks old where subjected to one of three clipping treatments while housed in an elevated pen they are imprinted on. I do not employ fencing to contain free-ranging birds so used roosting inclination as a substitute. The pen is adjustable with respect to height birds must jump / fly to access it. Lower setting is 36" and high setting is 48". The control / not-clipped treatment was represented by 16 birds, the unilateral clip treatment was represented by 7 birds and the bilateral clip treatment was represented by 6 birds. Clipping was done in two rounds. Each clipping was done immediately after birds went to roost. The first round involved clipping only the primaries on the the right or both wings depending on treatment. Initially the pen was set at 36". Following the clipping procedure I made two evenings of observation where birds where monitored for their ability to access roost. Then roost was elevated to the 48" height for two more nights of observation. Then clipped birds where all clipped a second time where secondaries were also cut. Two more nights of observations followed.

36" pen height
20180712_202005-1-jpg.1471184

48" pen height
20180716_201413-1-jpg.1471185

First round of wing clipping with only primaries clipped.
20180717_211151_hdr-jpg.1472219

Second round with both primaries and secondaries clipped. (Not same bird)
20180717_213341-jpg.1472233

At end of each period of observation, a chair was put put to allow birds to access pen regardless of treatment to prevent roosting on ground or moving to another location. Birds became distressed if unable to access pen after a small number of attempts.
20180719_204156.jpg

Results of cutting only primaries failed to prevent any birds from reaching pen when set at both 36" and 48". I could still ID during jump / flight up whether a given bird was not clipped, unilaterally clipped or bilaterally clipped. Following the second clipping round with pen still at 48" height, the treatments separated out (see figure below). Trends were consistent for both days (blue is day 1 and red is day 2) following second clipping. Treatments in figure below are Control (no wing clipping), Unilateral (one wing clipped), Bilateral (both wings clipped). Ascend (A) means a bird successfully flew up into pen or better. Descend (D) means a bird flew / jumped down. Failed to Ascend (FA) means a bird attempted and failed to reach coop by some combination of jumping and flying.

upload_2018-7-19_21-46-37.png

The control birds were most capable of reaching pen at both heights. Unilateral clipping including secondaries did increase frequency of failure on a given night to reach pen on a given attempt but all birds eventually made. Among the bilateral clipped birds with secondaries also cut, only one bird successfully reached pen at 48" height on second night. Thereafter, all bilateral birds required chair to access coop. Clipping both primaries and secondaries on both wings is more effective at reducing the jumping / flying ability of juvenile chickens when compared to unilateral and no clipping treatments.

A lot of work into this effort. Special thanks to several high school students and my kids for aiding in this effort.

Last edited:
Because,,,ok IMHO clipping more than about 3/4 of an inch is cruelty. One should only take a bit of the light feather tips from only one wing, this will stop flight. The entire purpous is to set the bird off balance while in flight. It will not stop jumping nor will taking their wings off stop jumping.
If my birds go out in the street, I grade part of the yard, they are going after the small gravel.
If they go next door, I increase feed and open more pasture.
If they go outside the yard to lay, I keep them in the coop for random amounts of time for a week or so to reset them.

Bottom line is if they are going over the fence there is a problem and it is not because they have feathers on their wing/s!
I humbly disagree with you. The problem is some birds are more curious than others or more serious about hiding their nest regardless of how much space, gravel, or feed I provide... and they teach their bad habits. Yes they can still jump... but it takes a LOT of their lift out.

CLOSE BILATERAL clipping WAS effective... for me. I tried the whole off balance thing (since I bought it at first) and it was a complete JOKE! Repeated with bilateral on ONLY those who needed it and it was IMMEDIATELY effective... with my 48" fence... with my Marans and my Easter Eggers... the later of which have been exceptional jumpers clearing 10 feet from a standing position.

NO WAY is keeping my birds INSIDE my fence where they aren't subjected to random domestic ground predators cruel. :old

@centrarchid, even though I already know where I stand... after plenty of experience with the different types of clipping and many breeds... Great experiment/study, thanks for sharing! :highfive:

Additional points. Prior to the wing clipping effort above it has been more than 35 years since the last time I did it. I do not clip wings as part of my typical management system mostly because I want birds to roost up more than 4' above the ground making it easier to protect them from nocturnal predators I can readily block from climbing (i.e. Opossums, Raccoons, and weasels). The capacity for wing assisted movement can also help birds evade predators by giving the chickens greater speed buying the chickens time so fewer lost if they have cover to retreat to. Most people do not have proper cover for chickens to retreat to so once a predator is after birds the extra performance does not matter much. The clipping can come into its own where the owner has more effective exclusion and keeping birds in what amounts to an uncovered run / backyard with a fence intended to keep chickens contained on owners property. Most interest in limiting flight / jumping centers on keeping the chickens from clearing a border fence between neighbors.

It is not fair to birds to handle them for an improper wing clipping job that is stressful to all that is also ineffective. It is like going to the Doctor for treatment that hurts but does not good and gives impression doctor or procedure is always a waste of time.

Extremely interesting, thank you for going to the trouble to chart out your results.
Thanks. Working on some new where trying to more effectively attract night flying eats to same penned birds used in experiment. Eating lots of insects greatly reduces the chickens inclination to cross barriers, much better than actual feed does.

There is considerable debate on this site concerning the efficacy of wing clipping and how it is to be done. Several links can be found concerning how to clip wings with diagrams given in most. Most show only one wing being clipped. Many people assert that wing clipping is not effective at constraining chicken flight. Many also assert the clipping should be asymmetrical or unilateral where only one wing is clipped. Logic behind that approach is that that balanced wing function is more effective than symmetrical wing feathering regardless as to whether clipping is done or not. Here I report results of a backyard experiment where a group of 29 juveniles approximately 13 weeks old where subjected to one of three clipping treatments while housed in an elevated pen they are imprinted on. I do not employ fencing to contain free-ranging birds so used roosting inclination as a substitute. The pen is adjustable with respect to height birds must jump / fly to access it. Lower setting is 36" and high setting is 48". The control / not-clipped treatment was represented by 16 birds, the unilateral clip treatment was represented by 7 birds and the bilateral clip treatment was represented by 6 birds. Clipping was done in two rounds. Each clipping was done immediately after birds went to roost. The first round involved clipping only the primaries on the the right or both wings depending on treatment. Initially the pen was set at 36". Following the clipping procedure I made two evenings of observation where birds where monitored for their ability to access roost. Then roost was elevated to the 48" height for two more nights of observation. Then clipped birds where all clipped a second time where secondaries were also cut. Two more nights of observations followed.

36" pen height
20180712_202005-1-jpg.1471184

48" pen height
20180716_201413-1-jpg.1471185

First round of wing clipping with only primaries clipped.
20180717_211151_hdr-jpg.1472219

Second round with both primaries and secondaries clipped. (Not same bird)
20180717_213341-jpg.1472233

At end of each period of observation, a chair was put put to allow birds to access pen regardless of treatment to prevent roosting on ground or moving to another location. Birds became distressed if unable to access pen after a small number of attempts.
View attachment 1474970

Results of cutting only primaries failed to prevent any birds from reaching pen when set at both 36" and 48". I could still ID during jump / flight up whether a given bird was not clipped, unilaterally clipped or bilaterally clipped. Following the second clipping round with pen still at 48" height, the treatments separated out (see figure below). Trends were consistent for both days (blue is day 1 and red is day 2) following second clipping. Treatments in figure below are Control (no wing clipping), Unilateral (one wing clipped), Bilateral (both wings clipped). Ascend (A) means a bird successfully flew up into pen or better. Descend (D) means a bird flew / jumped down. Failed to Ascend (FA) means a bird attempted and failed to reach coop by some combination of jumping and flying.

View attachment 1474913
The control birds were most capable of reaching pen at both heights. Unilateral clipping including secondaries did increase frequency of failure on a given night to reach pen on a given attempt but all birds eventually made. Among the bilateral clipped birds with secondaries also cut, only one bird successfully reached pen at 48" height on second night. Thereafter, all bilateral birds required chair to access coop. Clipping both primaries and secondaries on both wings is more effective at reducing the jumping / flying ability of juvenile chickens when compared to unilateral and no clipping treatments.

A lot of work into this effort. Special thanks to several high school students and my kids for aiding in this effort.
Extremely interesting, thank you for going to the trouble to chart out your results.

Another Reason to Properly Clip Wings of Free-range Chickens

Almost every day at least 2 hours before dark I release several groups of juveniles to forage and get some exercise plus dust bath. During that interval we have very good protection with me present and dogs that would love to chomp any predator eating visitor that comes in. Most of the chickens return to their roost on their own, but sometimes a small number do not. Most that do not want to roost where they are supposed to select higher locations than what is afforded by their elevated pens. The higher locations tend to the Bradford Pears that are within flying range from the elevated pens. White Oaks are another tree option sometimes used. I can spend close to 30 minutes every evening policing up those wayward birds. Most people would not go to such trouble. Some of the birds can roost up near the limit of what I can reach with a pole. It is possible to roost beyond my reach foliage too dense for me to see through. So what? Oh yeh, ............my favorite GHO buddies that come in almost every night. My little GHO buddies are not inclined to move the wayward chickens into pens for me. Rather, the owl will grab a chicken, usually the smallest they can find and.....

EAT ITS HEAD AND NECK!

That is aggravating for me because I am selfish I guess. Shame on me. I am not considerate of my birds love of freedom when it can cost them their lives so regularly. If someone is going to eat my chickens, then it needs to be me. The neck is my favorite part.

Clipping is a tool that can be used to make so the birds cannot get into that Bradford Pear or Red Oak yet still reach the elevated pen if done properly. If the birds cannot reach the tree, then they will go into their elevated pen. Oooo! See the possibility? Proper degree of clipping can reduce my labor each evening and decrease odds a chicken will find itself out of my reach where it can be dinner for the GHO. Even birds that are not clipped are unable beat a GHO after dark.

GHO = Great-horned Owl

Back
Top Bottom